How do I find out about my boat?

brianwrites

Seaman
Bought a 1990 Procraft Family Fisher 180 Fish and Ski. How can I learn the ins and outs of my boat. Where's the choke, operating the bilge pumps, storage compartments etc. I've been searching for several days now and cannot find an owner's manual online. I really don't want to take the boat out and learn through trial and error while damaging my boat. Thanks for any and all help.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: How do I find out about my boat?

Hey Brian: there's probably a few approaches.

First, you might find a manual on ebay if you search for it. Second, if you know someone in the area familiar with boats (or you can pay a marine mechanic locally) you can probably get them to orient you with the boat. Third, post some photos - if you put one up of the OB, control set, helm/dashboard & deck layout the forum can probably give you some limited answers (how to choke the motor, where your bilge pump switch is, etc.).

Hope one of those work for you.

mr 88

Commander

Boaters safety course should be step one.The previous owner should of gone over the controls with you.Charts would also be a help.Do you know anyone that owns a boat?In most cases toggle switches on the dash operate lights bilge pump,blowers and other acc. Lift up the engine cover and listen for the blower when you are trying switches,sometimes people actually mark them.You should be familiar with all the switches and what they do before shoving off.Most if not all boats do not come with a manual for the boat.They should come with a engine manual and that's about it.Choke would be automatic if I/O if not maybe a button on the controls. You probably have a warm up lever on the controls,a smaller lever on the side that you raise up while in neutral to help start it when cold.Good luck!

brianwrites

Seaman

The seller did give me an orientation, showed my all of the pumps, choke, etc. But while it's sitting and I'm not fishing, I was hoping there was something I could be reading. I tired e-bay...nothing. Thanks for your help. This is a good start.