help finding compression checker

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need help finding a compression checker. To test pistons, rings, head, gaskets, etc. To save money i wanna hit harbor freight. Was wondering if anyone had tried either of the compression checkers below. Im pretty green on the subject but would the second one for 19.99 work the same as the first one? Im pretty much looking for a compression checker to use on vehicles and my outboard boat. My truck and boat both have 13/16 sockets so it seems simple enough. Any advice or suggestions on these products would be appricated. thanks
#1. $35 dollar
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/diagnostics/cylinder-leak-down-tester-94190.html

#2 $20 dollar
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/diagnostics/compression-test-kit-66216.html

mscher

Lieutenant
Re: help finding compression checker

Either one would get the job done, IMO.

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

If all you want to check is compression,item #66216 will be the tool you need to check the overall condition of the cylinder.Item #94190 will find bad rings,valves,gaskets and seals.On two cycle engines,you have to use block off plates on the intake and exhaust ports since the piston acts as the valves do on a four cycle.A leak down tester will pinpoint the faulty component quickly and easily.Google leak down tester for a better explanation on it's use.It would be ideal to have both of these in your tool box.Hope this helps.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Really depends on how much work you do and how far of a diagnosis you want to achieve.
If you can afford it.. Spend the extra and get the leak down tester. At least you'll have it if you ever need one.

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ahh thanks for everyones input.Espically about the two cycle compresion checks needing block plates, never did one before so i didnt have a clue lol. Ima snatch up the leak down tester while its on sale , can never go wrong with too much diagnositc info.

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought the second one a few months ago.....seems to work fine for as often as i have used it

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice

If your gonna use this on a car / truck make sure you pull all the spark plugs out and disable the fuel system (either remove relay or fuse for fuel pump). You dont want the engine to start only to crank over (crank approx 3-4 cycles to get reading).

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

to do a thorough cylinder test, you need both tools.

first one is leakdown, second is compression. I generally do compression first. obviously, it will tell you general "cylinder health". cylinders with lower readings compared to the rest will be where I start. if you get steady readings over all cylinders you dont even really need to use the leakdown tester.

once compression test is done, then you move to the leakdown test and can check for burnt valves, bad stem seals, etc.

halfmoa

Ensign

A lot of the major auto part retailers have tools you can borrow for free with a deposit. Call around and I'm sure you can get one for free...for the day at least.