83 70 hp evinrude still having issues

ouiroc

Cadet
Re: 83 70 hp evinrude idles but dies adding throttle

ok been gone for a bit i did the carb thing no help found the bottom cylinder low on compression 75psi did a complete rebuild all cyliners at 130psi same outcome i was reading that the center carb is different form the other 2 top and bottom? also how do you sync the throttle and carbs and timing advance. how should the throttle cable be set before this is done and one more thing thanks for being patient the electric primer when it is pressed should it pump or just allow a path for the fuel to be sucked into the carb. this motor has been a nightmare in agrivation time and money, one more clue if any of the 3 plug wires are removed when it is running the motor dies
any help is greatly appriciated
thanks
tim

these are fixed jet carbs

ouiroc

Cadet
Re: 83 70 hp evinrude still having issues

help someone has to have a tip!
please
tim

guitman32

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a link and sync procedure where you will set pickup timing (when the cam hits the roller and opens the carbs) and maximum timing advance...everything else the stator and powerpack take care of. Thats how it works on 235/175 80s Evinrudes...

Last thing you do is set idle timing, which really determines final throttle cable adjustment.

Do you have a manual?

ouiroc

Cadet

thanks for the respond i downloaded the manuel so i am going to start with this evolution hopefully this will do it
thanks
tim

tallwill38

Cadet

just ignore or remove the cables adjust the motor then install cables without changing motor helps simplify the job :)

ouiroc

Cadet

thanks got that issue taken care of and then found out the lower seal is leaking so they have to redo it thanks for all the help the education has helped me be informed and moe in control of the situation
thanks to all again it is going to be a few days till i get back due to medical issues that will be resolved shortly
thanks
tim