Compatibility of Oil Filter

Chris611

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I searched the forum and wrote down all the filter number for a 1996 Merc 5.7L engine. The ones I found were PF-25, Napa 1061, Wix 51086. I found QuickSilver is 35-802885Q. The store I went to only has Fram and AC Delco. They didn't have a PH25. The Fram book acutally cross referenced the Quick Silver part number. The Fram filer was an suggested was a PF-8873, so I crossed it to a AC which was a PH 454. Only problem is I haven't heard anyone here say they use a PH454? It says in the notes for the PH 454 that it is anti-drain and has a relief built in. Do I have the right filter? It looks right. Same bottom as a PH 1218, but the 1218 is only an anti drain. It doesn't have the relieve built in? Let me know.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Chris

Laddies

Banned
Re: Compatibility of Oil Filter

I would not use a Fram on any of my engines let alone a marine engine--Bob

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I have never heard a good word about Fram, and I don't use them.

Chris611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I am trying to not use Fram. I have before, but after reading the posts on this board, I am going to stop. The only reason I listed it is because Fram was the only book that listed QuickSilver in the cross reference table. I would like to use AC Delco, but I'm unsure if the PH 454 is the right filter or not.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Chris

DHPMARINE

Captain

Sorry if I keep plugging the same old horse,on a lot of these topics,but why not use the Mercruiser/Quicksilver filter?The same people who sell your drive system sell and recommend this filter.<br /><br />DHP

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Whats the deal? Something wrong with fram filters?

Chris611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I read somewhere else on the web that the PF 454 replaced the PF 25? Can anyone else confirm this? I think I may have messed up the letters in from of the numbers in the orginal post. The ##25 and ## 454 filters are both AC Delco, not Fram.<br /><br />Chris

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by CP611:<br /> I searched the forum and wrote down all the filter number for a 1996 Merc 5.7L engine. The ones I found were PF-25, Napa 1061, Wix 51086. I found QuickSilver is 35-802885Q. The store I went to only has Fram and AC Delco. They didn't have a PH25. The Fram book acutally cross referenced the Quick Silver part number. The Fram filer was an suggested was a PF-8873, so I crossed it to a AC which was a PH 454. Only problem is I haven't heard anyone here say they use a PH454? It says in the notes for the PH 454 that it is anti-drain and has a relief built in. Do I have the right filter? It looks right. Same bottom as a PH 1218, but the 1218 is only an anti drain. It doesn't have the relieve built in? Let me know.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Chris
You get into trouble doing a cross to a cross. Kind of like cris-cross from "Throw Mama from the Train. ;) <br /><br />The relief that you are talking about is the by-pass valve. You won't find that on GM style filters -- that function is in the block, not the filter.<br /><br />The anti-drain back valve (ADBV) is the rubber gasket blocking the diameter array of intake ports on the baseplate.<br /><br />You are getting your H and F's mixed up ;) .<br /><br />AC Delco usually starts with PF; many Fram's start with PH.<br /><br />The ACDelco PF454 will work (baseplate, gasket, threads, ADBV), but it is unnecessarily short (less media and less oil).<br /><br />It is my understanding that the AC PF35 is not made anymore -- which is OK since it did not have an ADBV. It was replaced with the PF454 which had an ADBV, but was shorter.<br /><br />The AC PF1218 is a much longer version of the PF454 and will work fine.<br /><br />I agree that the first choice would be the Merc filter. If you can't find that consider WIX 1086 which is the same size as the Merc. If you have a Napa near by, the same filter is the 51086.<br /><br />If you want to go longer than the Merc and the Merc isn't available the AC 1218, Napa 51060, Wix 1060 will do.