Caring for my brand new black car (attn detail guys)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I'm going to be picking up a brand new car this evening. I wanted red, my wife wanted black (figures, she ain't washin' it) and black is the one they could find. So black it is. I'm hoping to get a coat of wax or sealant on it ASAP to keep it looking nice and protect it from damage from bird poop, bugs, etc. What product(s) should I use?

P.S. - I did some research online yesterday and found some crazy boutique products like the Zaino stuff and while they seem to work well and are favorably reviewed, the application instructions are way too complicated. Too many different products and steps. I'm not opposed to a little elbow grease but I could do without the complication. I'd prefer something I could pick up at Wal-Mart, Autozone, Advance, etc.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Caring for my brand new black car (attn detail guys)

They make some polish/waxes with UV sunscreen in them, but the very best you can do is keep your new black car out of the sun as much as possible with a shed, carport, garage or something like one of those temporary tarp/metal pole shelters like I keep my boat under. Of course lots of nicer neighborhoods won't tolerate these type shelters, but I stuck mine back in the woods so it don't show from the road. Congrats on your new wheels!:)....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It will be garaged but this is my daily driver. It will commute 30-40 miles each way to work every day so I'm sure it will still end up looking like someone hit it with a sandblaster after about a year but I'd like to minimize that and not add to the issue with bug and bird damage. I'm not fan of car bras of the clear overlay either.

Thanks for the congrats. I'll post pics and details when I get it. It's not an exciting car in the grand scheme of things but it will be the nicest I've ever owned for sure.

halfmoa

Ensign

I had better results with Maulms than any other product on my black paint. They carry it at Autozone now, no ordering online anymore!

lilpropst

Cadet

Congrats on the ride!
Although black can be a PITA to keep clean- they sure are pretty when they are all shined up.

That said, I have always loved black for a vehicle. Something I always do to keep them shined-up... wash at least every 2 weeks and in between washes (as long as it hasn't rained) I use a quick-detailer spray (it's a clear mist)... McGuires has a great one. Simply spray your car in sections and wipe with a dry cloth until the residue is gone. If needed I will spray the car once/week and it takes less than 5 minutes to apply. This will keep the car in show room shine condition for a long time.

I currently have a Black 2008 Yukon Denali (with 55K miles) and it still looks show room perfect. I'll add that it doesn't always stay in the garage (too many toys and tools clutter it at times) but it does stay in the shade.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys. I do plan on doing a full wax job and then maintaining for a while with a detailer spray. I had not heard of Malms before. Definitely heard of Collinite and it's apparently pretty darn good.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe he was thinking about Mother's Car care products?...pretty popular stuff!:)

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ez, I've been using this stuff on my truck since I bought it brand new and its a black 05 Dodge Ram that I wax 2 times a year. It's easy on and easy off. You can't even see any swirl marks. You can buy it at any auto parts store or walmart or target. I'll tell you what, I'd put it up against a brand new straight off the show room floor car and I'd bet anything it will look just a good. Good luck with the new car.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=MEG+G12718

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

One of the absolute best polishes I've used on black/dark colors is Honda Glare. Its sold at Honda powersports dealers and used on streetbikes (ie Goldwings). Its not cheap, but works awesome!

With the Glare, you want to buff the first coat in until it disappears. The second coat, you apply like a regular wax. And if you want your new found shine to last a little longer... follow it up with 2 coats of Liquid Glass.

I did our Lexus when it was less than a year old... I couldn't believe how much better it looked after I detailed it. Our Mustang was the same way... the Race Red looked bright when we got it, but after the waxing, it looked like a different color red.

Here's the Lexus & Stang after my handy work...

lexus11.jpg230701_225081654175054_100000196642572_1059859_3008922_n.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

One of the absolute best polishes I've used on black/dark colors is Honda Glare.

Honda Glare Professional Polish Cutting edge technology - does not contain wax, resins, polymers or silicones. Leaves a superior, long lasting shine Contains Glassplexin a negatively charged silicate that causes an exchange of electrons. The exchange of electrons creates a covalant bond, thus actually becoming part of the surface.
Can be used on paint, chrome, carbon fiber, fiberglass, glass, plastic, aluminum, and all metal alloys. Can withstand temperatures up to 650 degrees F, so it wont burn off mufflers.

Good lord, just what IS this stuff?? Can even use it on glass!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Good lord, just what IS this stuff?? Can even use it on glass!

Its an amazing product! My Dad stumbled across it at the Honda shop (he's a Goldwinger). He tried some on his F-150 and we couldn't believe how well it worked.

And yep... you can use it on the glass (beads like rainx). It also works great on the Baja... I use it on everything!!

JRJ

Commander

I sold my black pickup and bought a white one :D I do have a black Jeep TJ still. First thing I suggest is don't use a power buffer. My neighbor has a black Burb that looks horrible because of the swirl marks. Anyway, I started using Turtle 1-Step Wax&Dry on the Jeep and the other rigs, after I got tired of serious waxing. Enjoy your new ride, nothing sharper than black when its clean and shiny :cool:

QC

Supreme Mariner

I sold my black pickup and bought a white one
Sorry ez, I think this is the ultimate solution . . . :p

chriscraft254

Commander

Very simple! Mcguiars products! You should not be waxing your car until the paint has had time to cure completely. Like 3 months. During that period of time you can use Mcguiars polish. After the cure time is up, use the polish and then Mcguires carnauba wax. That is all you will ever need. I recommend washing every couple weeks and waxing every couple months.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

First thing I suggest is don't use a power buffer. My neighbor has a black Burb that looks horrible because of the swirl marks.

Good suggestion....... if you don't know how to use a buffer. I've seen people put more swirl marks in paint from hand waxing than I ever have with a orbital buffer. If you look at the Lexus above, I used an orbital buffer first and then a random orbital for the second coat (terry cloth pads on both buffers).... the last 2 coats (Liquid Glass) I did by hand (micro fiber rags). There wasn't one swirl mark in the whole car. ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You should not be waxing your car until the paint has had time to cure completely. Like 3 months.

This is only true of body shop repaints. Factory finishes are baked at 300 degrees and are fully cured right away.

j_martin

Admiral

Just leave the road at speed and drive through a hazel nut patch. Then you can quit obsessing about the finish.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just leave the road at speed and drive through a hazel nut patch. Then you can quit obsessing about the finish.

LOL. When the new paint job on my boat started to fail pretty much immediately, I was like "whelp, guess I don't need to be taking care of that anymore!" :facepalm:

Here's the info on the car: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=516478

dolluper

Captain

Liquid lustre can only get it online now.....makes old junkers look new........3M has a new system of clear material that goes on the bottom 2 feet and rockers fantastic stuff easy to apply.....new clear chip guard and worth it so thin and strong can't be seen