Johnson GT 150

truckerdave

Recruit
Hey guys, I have a question about a Johnson GT 150 engine. I'm considering buying this bass boat that has this engine, acording to the seller it got water inside the motor and it sat for two years. Is this worth buying? The boat is a 1988 Champion bass boat and the boat itself looks pretty good. But, i'm concerned about the engine. I don't know where the water got in so it could have gotten in anywhere. Is the motor worth repairing? But I can fix just about anything within reason. I would apprieciate any help on this subject.
Thanks for any help on this matter. Dave

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson GT 150

If it truly had water in the crankcase for two years, the motor is junk, and will be seized up. So try to turn the flywheel with the spark plugs out and see if she turns. If it is seized, I would think the motor is worthless, except for perhaps the gearcase.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You could consider putting a reman powerhead on it. If you factor that into the purchase price, the engine is not worth anything...

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it's salt water it's trash. Fresh water it may have survived, you never know. I would factor in extensive repairs into the offer price though.

truckerdave

Recruit

Hey fellow boaters. Thanks for the answers. As far as I know the the guy is selling the boat for a friend. So, I asked him whether or not the boat was in fresh or salt water. He told me that it had been used in the Indian or Bannanna river which means the water is brackish. The boat is in Cocoa, Fl. and I live in miami. I was considering driving up there to take a look at the boat. He doesn't know the extent of the damage to the engine only that it had gotten water in the motor somehow and it seized up. But, like I said before he had it sitting for two years. but, I don't know if he's talking about the motor itself that seized up or the lower half. Maybe, my girlfriend and I could take a drive up there just to take a look. I think she would enjoy the trip even though the motor may or may not be worthless.
Thanks again. Dave

truckerdave

Recruit

It's me again fellow boaters. I did get the guy to take some pictures of the motor. It's hard to tell thats there's anything wrong (that I can see but what do I know!!!) you be the judge. Click on the pictures to enlarge them. (like you didn't know that aready,lol)

mtr 004.jpg

mtr 001.jpg

mtr 002.jpg

mtr 003.jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That's a GT, as you indicated. The high-perf 150 for that year. Engine is a Lots of rusty bolt heads. Many of them will probably break off during teardown...a pretty rough-looking powerhead. Pull the plugs, shine a pencil light inside and see what the cyl walls look like when you rotate the flywheel.

guitman32

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a GT, as you indicated. The high-perf 150 for that year. Engine is a Lots of rusty bolt heads. Many of them will probably break off during teardown...a pretty rough-looking powerhead. Pull the plugs, shine a pencil light inside and see what the cyl walls look like when you rotate the flywheel.

emdsapmgr helped me when I snapped 3 head bolts trying to get my 89 175gt heads off due to water in cyl...if you have to get inside her, you're in for some fun!