floods on start up and wont rev past about 2500 on water....

leenolan82

Cadet
Hey Guys..

Im in need of some advice. I have a J60TLCIH 60hp jonno 2 cyl. I have just done a complete rebuild on it. pistons, rings, bearings, carbs the works.

I have run it on the muffs, seems to start ok, and run ok. but when i put it in the water it is hell hard to start. pull plugs and there soaked. so i dry the plugs, clear any fuel and boom! off she goes. head out of the marina and go to give it the stick and it just labour's and wont even get up on the plane.....

Now I have done a full rebuild, so has 135psi both cyl, Great spark, etc. I have rebuilt the carbs and replaced the floats, so I am thinking that the float level could be set wrong, giving me the flooding problem at start up. (only cold) seems to start ok warm.
But my question is can an incorrect float level cause my motor to labour under load and not rev? is it just getting too much fuel??

I have checked the timing, and checked again and again to be sure and its happily at 21 deg. I have also replaced all fuel lines ect so iit is not drawing air from anywhere it shouldnt be....

Does anyone have any other ideas?? and does anyone have the correct setting for the carb floats??

any help would be greatly apprecieated guys, I am getting sick of driving 50 mins to the boat ramp to be dissapointed again and again..

Haffiman

Commander
Re: floods on start up and wont rev past about 2500 on water....

Are you over priming it by holding the key pushed IN when cranking?

leenolan82

Cadet

No, Ill only choke it for a second when cold. there is way to much fuel getting through somehow...

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

When you remove the float bowl, turn the carb upside down and see if the float lays parrallel to the carb body. If it doesn't, bend the metal tab slightly to adjust the float so that it's perfectly parallel to the body. While you're in there, double check the float valve tip and also for debris.

Haffiman

Commander

Is your pick-up timing correct? (When carbs starts to open).
Is this a new engine to the boat or do you have previous reference with the same combo?
If previous reference what prop and max rpm?
Have you tried a lighter prop?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did you install the correct inlet needle and seat? A check of proper sealing is to invet the carb and then blow into the fuel inlet fitting. If air passes you have something wrong. If not, it is sealing properly. Installing jets in the wrong position or installing the wrong jets in the right place can cause flooding.

leenolan82

Cadet

Thanks for your replies.

In reference to previous experience with the motor, Yes I have had this motor with the same prop on this boat before and it used to get up and go nicely. the reason for rebuild was low comp and water in bottom cyl.

I will remove the carbs again later today and check those settings.. Is it worth me putting back in the old needle and seat??

also does anyone have the corrrect link and sync procedure for this motor?? I do not currently have a manual...

thanks for your help guys!!