Short Trailer..... What a pain to back up...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
A few months ago I bought a small utility 4x6 trailer (not boat trailer, but bear with me). The darn thing is great for running errands, picking up firewood, load of sand, etc. BUT, when loaded with a low profile load, I can not see the trailer behind the car. So my solution was to take one of those bicycle whip flags that they put on kids bikes to make them more visible, cut it in half, mount each half on a rear corner of the trailer, and BINGO! I can see what the trailer is doing while I back up. A red ball or tennis ball on each section of whip makes it even easier to see.

Got to thinking, I have the same problem with the boat trailers when the trailer is empty. Backing the trailer down the ramp in the AWD minivan is such a pain because the high profile rear window makes it impossible to see the trailer, even with side guards to help load the boat. So I'm going to buy two more whip flags for bicycles and add one to each side, or maybe just drill a hole in the guides and stick in a short flag that will be tall enough to see out the rear window.

Sound like a good idea or no?

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Short Trailer..... What a pain to back up...

I have been thinking about the same idea, or there abouts. I too have a trailer that is hard to see without dropping the tailgate on my Suburban.
I think it would be a very good idea. It make the trailer that much easier to see, and thus to control.

chriscraft254

Commander

Anything that makes it easier for you to navigate, the better! On your boat trailer, I would consider some side guides with pvc tubing. You can also mount brake lights up high on those so they stay out of the water. More expensive but more durable.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Anything that makes it easier for you to navigate, the better! On your boat trailer, I would consider some side guides with pvc tubing. You can also mount brake lights up high on those so they stay out of the water. More expensive but more durable.

The PVC loading guides are great for more than just knowing where to steer your boat when loading. One thing I wish I had done when I bought mine was to think bigger. Mine are higher than the boat but just barely. If I had to do it all over again I'd have bought the tallest ones I could find for exactly the reason this thread addresses.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use something similar to back my truck up to the boat coupler while backing alone. A magnetic pole with tennis balls on top, one on the truck hitch, the other on the boat coupler. When the balls meet the trailer can be connected easily. They also can be used on the trailer to see it when backing up empty.

See you on the lake

Joe

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Those bicycle flags will not make it thru a year of use as a planer board marker at 3 kts. let alone a trailer rolling down the highway.

Suggest you go the PVC route as noted above.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You could just open the tailgate on the van. I drop the tailgate on my pickup when backing the empty trailer down the ramp.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I open the hatch on my Scion when backing in, then after I park it w/ handbrake on, I climb out the back, one step on the trailer and I'm in the boat! Easiest way to solo unload/load the boat that I've found.
But for driving/backing the trailer PVC guides are the way to go.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I had the same "sight" problem with my 16` utility trailer, could not see above my pick up bed. I added two of those fiberglass rods, driveway markers with reflectors, purchased at Lowes for $2 on each side at the rear of the trailer. Now I can tell exactly where the trailer is, day or night.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use something similar to back my truck up to the boat coupler while backing alone. A magnetic pole with tennis balls on top, one on the truck hitch, the other on the boat coupler. When the balls meet the trailer can be connected easily. They also can be used on the trailer to see it when backing up empty.
The pvc route is nice....but expensive. A portable setup like I mentioned above works flawlessly and is quick to put together and take down

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

See you on the lake

Joe

The pvc route is nice....but expensive. A portable setup like I mentioned above works flawlessly and is quick to put together and take down

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Um...instead of buying bike flags, or fiberglass poles, or backup cameras (actually something I was going to suggest as well), or whatever way to spend your hard earned money why not do as "drrpm" suggested and pop open the tailgate when backing your empty trailer? Or here's another novel idea...use your mirrors to see when the thing is getting outta whack. That's what I did when I had to back up my empty trailer to retrieve my boat with my Pathfinder that had a high back glass. Seriously, just use the mirrors...that's what they're there for.

chriscraft254

Commander

He's talking about a utility trailer that is 6 ft long. If you put that behind my truck, it is hard to see in the mirrors or with the tailgate down. I'm sure the guy knows how to use hhis mirrors. Also when turning a short trailer, it turns alot faster than a boat trailer that is longer. The pvc pipes I suggested for his boat trailer, go over the top of aluminum brackets that mount to the side of your trailer. These help with visuals for the driver and bring your brake lights up so there more visable. The poles act as centering tools for when you are loading your boat also. I personally don't have them on my trailer, but I see them help alot of folks that do.
Um...instead of buying bike flags, or fiberglass poles, or backup cameras (actually something I was going to suggest as well), or whatever way to spend your hard earned money why not do as "drrpm" suggested and pop open the tailgate when backing your empty trailer? Or here's another novel idea...use your mirrors to see when the thing is getting outta whack. That's what I did when I had to back up my empty trailer to retrieve my boat with my Pathfinder that had a high back glass. Seriously, just use the mirrors...that's what they're there for.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Well, my trailers aren't exactly short, but I added some tall PVC LED lighted guide ons that are the best freaking mod I have ever done to my trailers! It is so easy to see day or night. I think they are made by Smith. Well worth it and only like $130.

V

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I've found it faster and much less frustrating to MANually turn short trailers when empty and backing in tight quarters a few times:mad: especially when you have someone riding shotgun:D Just grab it and yank it back straight when it trys to jackknife.