78 115 sea horse. lost key

madolive3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 78 sea horse that doesn't have the key. My question is can I have new keys made somewhere? It has the key push for full choke ignition so I'm thinking it will be difficult to replace.
This control also has the motor tilt button on the shift handle...Thanks in advance, I tried to search this subject three or four different way without relevant results.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 78 115 sea horse. lost key

I believe that switch assy. is obsolete, but your dealer could probably fix you up with a generic one. Or you could take it out and drop it off th the local key guy and he could (hopefully) make you one.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There should be a number on the front of the key switch, maybe under the bezzzle. Take that number to just about any Johnyrude dealer and they can order you a key for about $6. Also, if you have the number you can look on ebay, they have a ton of keys.

If you can't find the number or need to replace the key switch, it's not a big deal. You should still be able to get the correct switch (take the old one with you). I think (but could be wrong) it should be a five terminal switch. 1 for the battery, 1 for igntion, 2 for magneto (off) and either an accesory or choke terminal. If you can't get the switch, you can wire a momentary push button switch to the dash that would activate the choke when you depressed.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Follow Ross' directions. The keys come from the dealer-precut from the factory. All you need is the key number-which is on the barrel of each key switch.