low tech sloution for pontoon cover.

Dakota Dave

Seaman Apprentice
IMG00036-20110920-1532.jpgIMG00037-20110920-1532.jpg I Need to Cover My pontoon for winter. the top keeps colectiog water and a pole with some straps jut didn't cut it. So I used four pieces of CPVP cut to 8' 5" six "T"s with half cut away and some Zip ties. seams to work pretty good.

Last edited:

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: low tech sloution for pontoon cover.

Looks Good! Just a little concerned about snow load though............

Jeep Man

Commander

Trust me on this one, DON'T DO IT. My first hand experience with North Dakota in winter is that it's very cold and you get a considerable amount of snow. What WILL happen is at least one of three things:
---The PVC will get very brittle in the cold. The snow load and / or wind will snap them like twigs.
---The weight of the snow will create enough downward pressure to push your side rails outward.
---The cover will rip to shreds from the weight.

Been there, done that. I suggest a wood frame with a healthy slope on each side to allow the snow to slide off before it builds up too much.

Dakota Dave

Seaman Apprentice

I hope to get at least one more project out before winter then it can park in the backside of the barn till spring. I've had a similar set up on my boat for 15 years and not had a problem. as long as I don't park on the south side of the barn I don't get snow buildup.

phenrichs

Cadet

I think you have something going there Dave. Looks good to me. Although Jeep Man has a good point about your rails getting pressed outward from the pressure of the pipe. Have you considered using a tie-down strap from one side rail to the other just for added stability? I don't think the weight of the snow is going to do that much but those are hefty pipes and I am sure they were not easily bent to that curve. I am thinking more of our winter winds shaking and causing one of them to pop off. If you secured the rails it may prevent that.

phenrichs

Cadet

Oh and it is nice to find some rather local folks on here. Dakota Dave and snowfish, you guys are the first I have seen from this area. I built towers up in the Brainerd Lakes area. Stayed in Nisswa to be exact. Beautiful country and great friendly people. Biggest walleyes I have ever seen.