Loud "Clunk" When Shifting Into Gear

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

I have a 1986 Merc 260/Alpha One, just winterized it and am thinking about all the things I need to do to it in the off season. There is a loud "clunk" noise when I shift into both forward and reverse. It goes into gear and stays in gear without any other problems, and it happens every time I shift into either gear. I've been reading around and think it might be the lower shift cable, but all the bellows are in great shape and I don't want to pull anything apart if I don't have to. Is there a way to troubleshoot all the different parts that could be defective? And besides the cable, what could it be?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Loud "Clunk" When Shifting Into Gear

Is your noise heard when the boat is in the water or are you on land on muffs?? Submerged in water will be much less of a clunk to hear.On muffs it will be a lot louder.Charlie

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What's the engine idle rpm that you are shifting at? Do you have a SS prop?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

If you have a owners manual you'll find that it recommends a positive action when shift from neutral into gear. The dogs engage hard when they are in good condition and that clunk is usually a good sign not a bad one. Because of the way the dogs engage it is never recommended to slide it into gear since this causes excessive wear.

greg82255

Is your noise heard when the boat is in the water or are you on land on muffs??
I hear it on land and on the muffs. It's still very noticeable in the water.

What's the engine idle rpm that you are shifting at? Do you have a SS prop?
The idle RPM is about 800-850 and I do have an SS prop.

Because of the way the dogs engage it is never recommended to slide it into gear since this causes excessive wear.
Agreed - I always push it right into gear, never slide it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The idle RPM is about 800-850 and I do have an SS prop.
No wonder it clunks loud. Way to fast of an idle speed, get it down to 650-700 like it's supposed to be, especially with a SS prop.

greg82255

Alright, perfect. I'll set get it down to 650. So this means the lower shift cable is probably ok?

Bondo

Staff member

Alright, perfect. I'll set get it down to 650. So this means the lower shift cable is probably ok?

Ayuh,... How old is it,..??
When shift cables wear inside, ya usually can't adjust it ti hit Both forward, 'n reverse...
If they get sticky, 'n drag, they cause stallin' when shiftin'...

The Clunk is kinds normal for an Alpha, but as noted, a High idle, 'n SSteel wheel are exacerbating yer's...

greg82255

It's a 1986 but I'm not sure how old the lower shift cable is. I bought the boat about 13 months ago and I was told it was always dealer serviced. I pulled the drive this year to check the gimbal bearing, u joints and bellows and everything looked good (except for maybe slightly worn u-joints that I mentioned in another thread), so I am lead to think that it was maintained properly. I have no problem hitting both forward and reverse, and it has never stalled when shifting - just clunks.