Volvo Penta Upper Steering Pivot Seal Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortonvt

Cadet
I have twin VP 5.7GXiD DuoProp sterndrive setup in a 2003 Doral 330SE (Elegante). The upper steering pivot seals leak on both engines at the rate of approximately one drop every two seconds (the water leaks around the seal, flows forward on the housing, then back aft and down, and finally comes forward again on the exhaust Y and drips down into the bilge). They have leaked for the two seasons I have owned it, and I have to assume they've leaked since new, because of the configuration of the boat. The VP specs on how much of the sterndrive transom bracket should be above the waterline show at least a few inches more "reveal" than the 330SE, which sits low in the water. Unfortunately, this is normal for the 330SE. Apparently, the steering pivot seals were not meant to be continuously submerged. Regardless, this winter I am finally going to resolve this problem. Does anyone have any experience with the method, procedure, repair, or improvement of a similar situation?
IMG_1623.jpg

shortonvt

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta Upper Steering Pivot Seal Leak

Thank you Don! I will followup with the results.

Thalasso

Commander

DonS. Your the man. Wish i had someone in my area as noligable

shortonvt

Cadet

I am trying to remove the gimbal housing cover to troubleshoot the steering pivot seal leak. I have removed the four bolts, but the cover is too tight to move by hand. I used a rubber mallet and was able to budge the cover only a little bit. What am I missing?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look inside the boat and see if you have 2 bolts at the top of the inner transom shield.

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 12

Rusty S

Seaman Apprentice

You are a life saver Don! I have been struggling with this since early summer. Bought boat this spring; replaced bellows, gimbal bearing, etc. then put boat back in the water to only notice I still had a leak. Saw water dripping on the little "shelf" inside and concluded this is the only place the water can come from. Have been prying, driving, lots of different things. Everyone has told me "just the 4 bolts on top; then it should come right off...". I will go home tonight and try this; here's hoping I can finally get the D#*$ thing off! I'm thinking it has been like this for some time as the inner housing is stained from water. Hopefully the transom didn't get too soaked along the way.

shortonvt

Cadet

Rusty, the two bolts inside the transom shield were definitely the solution on my gimbal housing cover. The step in the workshop manual is easy to over look, but after reviewing it on a computer screen instead of my iPhone, I saw it clearly. My transom shield is the SX-MHP, and I am in the midst of this procedure. I have the drives removed and will be doing te rest this weekend. I will post the results and any tips I find along the way. The workshop manual is a must have, and thanks to Don S., it's available electronically.

Rusty S

Seaman Apprentice

I'm reluctant to say this, but I HAD the workshop manual, and a Seloc Repair Manual and still missed the two bolts. Anyway, I have them off now. Notice the pivoting assembly has a slight amount of give; thinking the bearing needs replacing. Nows the time, over the winter, to address. Doesn't look like too big of a job.

Also, and I will start another thread elsewhere, I'm concerned about the transom. It is obvious now that I have this removed that the bolt holes through the transom have been wet. Remember: back this summer I had the boat out, and was attempting the removal but failed; put back in the water for remainder of season. The bolts were quite loose inside from all of the pounding, etc. I'm guessing I have some water soaked into the transom. Not for sure the best method of confirming this, along with the inevitable solution of removal. Boat is a 274 Larson Cabrio; the outdrive transom assembly is almost fully submerged when sitting at dock (maybe 1" from top).
Thanks for the help so far; will leave this post and start another with next issue.

Last edited:

shortonvt

Cadet

A little progress, interrupted: I have completed all the necessary steps to access and remove the steering spindle arm from the suspension fork in order to replace the thrust washer, bearing, and o-ring on each of my outdrives. Only one was easily separated, and unfortunately there was no obvious evidence of wear on any of the components I plan on replacing. Even the o-ring was in good condition. The other spindle arm is seized to its suspension fork. I'm finding it difficult to temper my desire to avoid doing unnecessary damage with the absolute necessity of removing it to finally resolve the constant water leak. Any opinions on how much I can heat the arm or the fork shaft before I do permanent damage? Or another method that might not come to mind? I've tried PB Blaster, Nuts Off!, a hammer, and a little bit of propane torch, but to no avail. I'm thinking some sort of hydraulic seperator or large ball joint fork might be my next step.

shortonvt

Cadet

steering bearing from below.jpgsteering bearing from above.jpgI'm reinstalling the starboard gimbal ring and pivot housing, with the new steering fork o-ring (that was causing the leak in the first place). I realized that the original steering bearing is still installed in the gimbal housing, and it appears to be seized. I purchased a new one, but I am hesitant to forcibly remove the original, and then probably have to forcibly press in the new one. My question is whether it is necessary to replace the steering bearing, or should I reinstall the gimbal ring and hope that the new o-ring and thrust washer will cure the leak. There was no visible damage to the original o-ring, so I would feel better replacing everythign associated with the leak.

Last edited:

shortonvt

Cadet

Just a thought, while I mull over what to do, does anyone know if this bearing (bushing) is supposed to be flush with the housing it's in? I'm thinking it is rather coincidental that I have TWO leakers, especially with o-ring being in good shape from the one I was able to remove. So I'm wondering if this bearing is supposed to be flush on the top? As you can see in the photo, it is about 1/16" above the housing. There is a little bit of scoring on the bottom of the steering spindle that matches the circumference of the bearing, which lead me to think that the bearing was seated too high. I could be grasping at straws here, but I figured it doesn't hurt to say it out loud.

shortonvt

Cadet

Partially answered my own question after reviewing the DP-S outdrive workshop manual. There is a special installation tool that properly positions the bearing at a certain height, which is slightly above the surface of the steering arm cavity.

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

do you have a volvo penta part number ??

There is a special installation tool that properly positions the bearing at a certain height, which is slightly above the surface of the steering arm cavity.

shortonvt

Cadet

do you have a volvo penta part number ??

The part numbers for the special tool consists of three parts: a slide installer 3854360, a rod 3854351, and another installer adapter3854359. I checked the prices at marinepartsexpress.com and total is about $170.

Rusty S

Seaman Apprentice

I did not replace the bearing when doing mine. Outdrive split, pivot housing, gimbal ring, gimbal cover, etc. was removed, sanded, and re-painted over the winter; have just completed re-assembly with all new o-rings, etc. Your leak was probably coming from the top cover o-ring and the transom bolts if it was anything like mine. The o-ring on steering post was fine, and bearing seemed ok as well. When re-installng cover, purchase the ridiculously over-priced $6.53ea. foam gaskets that go on the bolts between the cover and transom. I placed gasket sealer on the o-ring and mating surface, then on each side of the transom/cover and tightened everything up; leave a rag overnight to catch any oozing on the pivot housing.

Before taking it all apart I noticed a little slack in mine. When re-installing the gimbal ring make sure you read the manual about the pre-loading with the quantity and placement of the fiber-washers on bottom.

Everything seems very tight now, and hopefully sealed so there are no leaks. I haven't floated her yet, but have my fingers crossed...

shortonvt

Cadet

IMG_1623.jpg
Your leak was probably coming from the top cover o-ring and the transom bolts if it was anything like mine.

Unfortunately, the gimbal cover gasket and those ridiculously expensive foam rings were all in tact and no evidence of leakage. It's tough to tell from a still photo, but this was taken while the boat was in the water, and I could actually see the water coming in from where the steering spindle sits atop the thrust washer, which is sitting atop the bearing which is atop the o-ring. Somewhere in there, on BOTH of my drives, the seal isn't tight enough to keep water out.There wasn't any water coming from above where the gasket and foam rings are. I hate to point fingers, but because this seems to be an uncommon problem, I'm wondering if it is is an installation error. Even a slight mis-fit of the bearing into the steering cavity on the gimbal housing (which is performed with a special tool to get the correct height), could give water a place to go. So for peace of mind, I want to replace EVERYTHING, the steering o-ring, bearing, thrust washer, and those foam rings and obviously the cover gasket also, but I have to borrow or buy the special tool to get the bearing seated properly. I do have the Sterndrive workshop manual, thanks to Don S., which is worth its weight in synthetic 75W-90.

Rusty S

Seaman Apprentice

Well...nice job getting this pic! I am impressed in your ability to get in there and get this detail.
This makes me wonder if my diagnosis was correct or not as my impression of water dripping off the "shelf" had to be coming from the cover.
When removing the gimbal ring it DID take me many wacks with hammer & blocks of wood to release it from the steering spindle. Upon removal I did not notice any rust and the o-ring on top of gimbal ring was in-tact.
I wonder if the pre-load of the gimbal ring with the bottom washers has anything to do with it? This did seem to tighten up the pre-removal looseness, and this action would have a direct effect on the o-ring seating.
Once I splash mine I will know the answer I guess; I will update upon doing so. Looking like another week or two; we are experiencing low water levels as a result of the warmer than average winter.
I travel across Lake C almost weekly for work on the Cumberland Head/Grand Isle ferrry.
Good luck with your search for tools.

shortonvt

Cadet

I wonder if the pre-load of the gimbal ring with the bottom washers has anything to do with it? This did seem to tighten up the pre-removal looseness, and this action would have a direct effect on the o-ring seating.

I'm glad you mentioned the preload! I was planning on reinstalling the drive with the same number of plastic washers as was in place when I removed it. But now it occurs to me that this may be a major part of the problem. Like you said, preload would force the steering fork up, making a tighter seal against the o-ring. Now I wish I had noted the amount of vertical play in the drives before I removed them, but I will pay close attention when I reinstall them. Thanks for the advice, and keep an eye out this summer for "Sky's the Limit" when you're transiting on the ferry. I didn't realize when I neamed the boat that it was going to be a reference to how much she was going to cost me in repairs!

shortonvt

Cadet

scored steering spindle.jpgQuick update. I was able to easily remove the nylon steering bearing from the upper steering cavity using a "press" I found of identical diameter. I used this same "press" to install a new bearing. I noticed quite a bit of scoring on the underside of the steering spindle, which was caused by the old bearing. I think the old bearing was seated too high, preventing the o-ring below from seating on the bottom of the bearing, and allowing water to leak in (the o-ring and thrust washer were in perfect condition). When I reinstalled the new bearing, I put it in just high enough so that the thrust washer is perfectly level with the top of the bearing. That way the thrust washer and the top of the bearing are flush with the bottom of the steering spindle. I also installed one more than before (four total) of the flat plastic washers on the lower steering pivot for more of a preload on the gimbal ring and pivot. I haven't put her in the water yet, because I still have to fix the port steering assembly, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I have mitigated much of the problem. Plus tons of grease has to seal it for at least a little while!

Status
Not open for further replies.