Mercruiser prop shaft thread size, die to chase threads

fishrdan

Admiral
Hey Guys, what's the correct size of die to chase the threads on a Mercruiser prop shaft, it's a M1 drive, but uses the same prop nut as an Alpha1 or Alpha Gen II. The old prop nut spins on the shaft fine, but the shaft and nut are buggered up a bit, rounded off threads. The new nut from the Flo-Troq hub kit won't spin on the shaft easily as it starts binding on the rounded off threads.

My main concern is torquing the Flo-torq hub kit to 100ftlb with the old worn out nut. I don't want to strip the old nut, or bugger up the shaft by forcing the new nut on the shaft.

Thanks, Dan

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser prop nut size, die size to chase threads

I looked/Googled this same question up myself one time and found it should be a 3/4-16 thread size on the prop shaft, But I have not checked into seeing if this is the actual size myself yet.

Let me know if you find this size to work because I still need to do this same thing on my personal boat with a bravo 1 drive on the next oil change. Thanks.;):)

Found here.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/142332-anyone-know-thread-size-pitch-4-bravo.html

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It is in fact, 3/4" fine thread...

fishrdan

Admiral

Thanks for the quick response!

(I probably could have found the answer easily last year by using search, but search doesn't work well with the new forum software.......)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser prop shaft thread size, die to chase threads

My main concern is torquing the Flo-torq hub kit to 100ftlb with the old worn out nut. I don't want to strip the old nut, or bugger up the shaft by forcing the new nut on the shaft.

That sounded WAY too tight, so I looked it up. They only talked about 100 INCH POUNDS in the instructions (that is like 8 ft lb) for a low horsepower outboard. Alpha 1 should be 55 ft lb. Here are the instructions: http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/pdfs/service-and-support/props/Flo-Torq.pdf same as all other Alpha I props.

fishrdan

Admiral

The link ^^^ is to the old instructions. Mercury revised the torque setting for the Flo-Torq II from 55ftlb to 100ftlb. The instructions that came with my Flo-Torq II say 100ftlb. I guess 55ftlb wasn't tight enough to completely seat the hub and caused rattling issues, something like that anyway.

I just want to make sure I don't get that sinking felling while I'm torquing the prop nut. You know, then you are torquing something and all of a sudden it gets easier to tighten :eek: :facepalm:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK, sorry, the Fow-Torque I is the only one listed on the Merc site, and at twice the current torque 100 seemed kind of high. That is going to be a pain, 55 is hard enough to hold LOL.

fishrdan

Admiral

Success!

The 3/4 - 16 die was a bit tough to work with as I didn't have a handle for the big die, but my trusty ol' crescent wrench :)facepalm:) held the die tight enough after snugging it down. 6-7 passes cleaned up the threads and the nut spun on easy, torqued to 100ftlb without issue.