Cylinders not getting fuel, 1986, 175hp, merc outboard.

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay I narrowed it down to fuel problem. I put gas into the cylinders by taking out the plugs, it fires right up.I put a new fuel filter on an all new hoses from the motor hook up down to the tank. I checked the bowl on all 3 carbs and they were full. Not sure where to go from here and what to look for. The mechanic said he adjusted the carbs. Not sure what he did, I think we got the shaft from him.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cylinders not getting fuel, 1986, 175hp, merc outboard.

If you "prime" it with fuel in carb throat and start it, will it continue to run if you hold choke(keyswitch)pushed in??

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

View attachment 114675
Here is a picture of my shifter not sure if I can push it in. It is a replacement ignition I was told. It goes in but not much. I was told to give it gas to start it but when I push in the center button and push it forward I don't get anything. I tried to pull it back as I was going into reverse (to choke it) still nothing. As you can see I don't know much about starting this with the shifter. It just spins like no fuel either way. What I do know about this shifter if you hold in the top lever and push if forward or back it goes into gear.

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mail.jpgOK after reading a few post on my controls I don't have the correct key switch. So how would I prime the motor if I can't push the switch in?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Replace with correct switch to correct problem.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

STOP RIGHT THERE

An incorrect key switch must be carefully checked, it has the possibility of destroying the ignition switchbox.

Before you do anything else, disconnect the black wire with the thin yellow trace from the switchbox to the motor wiring harness.

Test the wire from the harness, first with a volt meter, key ON and key Off to be certain there is NO VOLTAGE EVER, any voltage to this wire can kill a switchbox.

Next test that wire with an Ohm's meter, again key ON and key OFF, you should have continuity to ground only with the key OFF, this wire is the 'ground-to-kill'.

Repost once you have confirmed this.

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Ignition is okay and working fine per the previous owner of the motor. I gave him a call before I wet to check the wiring. I went and checked it anyway. I come up with no power in the black/yellow wire at all key on or off.
Is there a way to prime it w/o the key on the motor side? I also call the guy who worked on it he said there was a way to start it but he won't tell me he wants to show me . I don't have the money for him to show me what to do.Yes he want to charge me and no I will not be taking it back to him ever again.

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there a way to prime it w/o the key on the motor side? / enricher??