Gas tank help

I just picked up a $30 JW 10 (I couldn't help myself) and want to see if I can get it running. I opened the gas tank and saw there was a nasty flaky kind of goo layer in the bottom of the tank. I have rinsed it out with carb cleaner and done the nuts in the tank, shake till I am blue in the face, thing but I still can't get more than a dribble of cleaner to drain out of the tank where the gas line hooks up. I have read that there is some type of filter in there but I have no idea how to get at it. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Vance

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Gas tank help

I would use a different source for gas till I was happy with the engine. Then see if you can open the passage through the tank. My brother straped a 70 gallon tank to his tractor wheel jacked it up, put some rocks in the tank and went to town for lunch. Do you have a garden tractor?

lindy46

Captain

Filter is probably crudded up. Remove the gas line where it attaches to the bottom of the tank and the filter comes out with the gas line.

I have taken the gas line completely off of the tank and there was something (a filter?) pressed into the top of the line. I blew that out with air and gas now passes through the line, but noting much seems to come out of the tank itself. When I look up into the tank, into the hole where the gas line screws in, it looks like there is a hollow tube extending up into the gas tank. I can push a small screw driver almost to the top of the tank before it bottoms out in that tube, but I can't see anyplace where the gas is supposed to come out. I have blown air into that hole and a small amount passes into the tank, but still the gas won't flow. Please, I need some suggestions.

I know it is obvious that I am new to this outboard repair thing, and that I am probably missing something easy, but I am still stumped.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vance

lindy46

Captain

Should be a scintered metal filter soldered to the top of the gas line/fitting. Not sure what you mean by a hollow tube extending up into the tank.

nwcove

Admiral

you should be able to put a wrench on the fitting and remove and clean that in tank filter, they do get gummed up pretty bad.

Thanks to all those who have responded. The metal filter was not attached to the top of the gas line but was stuck up in the threaded hole on the tank that the gas line screws to. I got it out but broke it in the process. Now what? Is it possible to find replacement filters or do I have another filtering option.

Again thanks in advance.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

all kinds of inline filters around. Just pick one that fits where you want it.
What I was getting at is hook up a gas supply and see what you have before you spend time and money fixing a tank that may never be used

nwcove

Admiral

a basic in line filter will do the trick, just make sure you look at the arrow on it, so the direction of flow is correct.