new guy... just want to introduce myself/ say hello

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am very excited as this is my first boat. about a month ago I came across a 1965 MFG 16' with a 1962 johnson 28 hp outboard and trailer on craigslist. I picked it all up for $300.00. the motor fired right up and the boat is in pretty good condition considering the price. the boat really only needs a good cleaning and some new seats and it will be more than suffice for what I need.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to boats so fortunately my cousin knows a good amount and has been very helpful (he is also a member here f16dcc431). I have been lurking around the site now reading tons of info I figured it was about time to introduce myself.

so back to the boat. last week I traded my 1962 28 hp johnson for a 1973 65hp johnson we mounted the motor but have not taken it out yet hopefully we will get it out tomorrow or wed.

does anyone have a video of their runabout in the water with a 65hp motor I'm curious as to how is going to move the boat in the water.

enough with all the yacking here are some pictures of my "new" toy

IMG_20110906_144138.jpg

290120_10150428817150760_570155759_10924509_719224204_o.jpg

290389_10150432850290760_570155759_10949088_2062217280_o.jpg

mr 88

Commander
Re: new guy... just want to introduce myself/ say hello

Congrats,nice looking ride. The 65 will push it to around 35 with a light load.A tach and RPM rating will be a big help as to getting it propped correctly. Any idea what the motor came off of?

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

WELCOME Nice boat ,There' s nothing like a boat that has some histrory to it HAPPY BOATING:)-------DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE PLUG IN

Last edited:

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Welcome! And congrats on the purchase.

MFGs: I just love both their lines (for a 'glass boat!) and their construction: Strong and light.

Running a tach for the motor to determine prop pitch as suggested *is* a really good idea. IF the motor runs to much RPM at WOT, kaputs to the motor. Not enough RPM and you put a lot of strain on the motor, too, plus your fuel consumption will be high and your speeds too low for the amount of gas used. The right aluminum prop will pay for itself with use. Stainless will pay for itself, too, and perform better, but it will be a lot more money up front to get a stainless prop.

Enjoy your MFG! Make it clean and keep it pretty!

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the info guys

I'm going to have to read more into what your talking about regarding using a tach to determine prop pitch seeing as I have no clue what that means lol.

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the info guys

I'm going to have to read more into what your talking about regarding using a tach to determine prop pitch seeing as I have no clue what that means lol.

The angle of the propeller blades have a direct effect on the boat's power and performance. The power and performance can be checked by the RPMs (revolutions per minute)of the motor. A tachometer will tell you the RPMs. Every motor has a set of recommended maximum RPMs. You can change propellers that have different pitches (angles) to meet those RPMs Hope that makes sense

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so I take it I will have to try multiple propeller blades/pitches in order to find the right one for the boat? is there a way to know what will/may work best without having to buy and try a bunch of different propellers? sounds like that could get expensive quick lol. sorry for all the noobish questions

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ask all the questions you like! We all started somewhere! :)
My last post was just a general explanation of using a tach to determine prop size/pitch.
Each motor manufacturer has a set of specifications which will indicate the max RPM at WOT (Wide open throttle) That's a good place to start. Then you will need to know a few things about your boat, like the type, length, and weight. With this info, prop size/pitch can be narrowed down. ;)

svxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice looking boat, for every pitch up or down is 150/200 rpm change in engine speed.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the outboard I have is a Evinrude 65273s (1972 Evinrude 65 hp) where would I find the max RPM at WOT?

I believe my boat is a 16' MFG runabout

billdewberry

Cadet

Hello Iboat team. I am also new. Just purchase a 1998 Bayliner Capri Cuddy with a 4.3 Alpha 1 V6. I got the boat from a dude that let it sit fit for 3 years. The engine is solid and there are no leaks. I am also a memebr of the Coast Guard Auxillary here in NC so I look forward to some major Boating. THe boact came with all safety and 6 poles with tackle. Solar battery Charger and extra Bettery. 10 Life jackets spare parts, Engine flush kit. Electric battery charger and trailer. Radio CD and CB. I have to reapir one seat and clean the carpet. Also one piece of wood by the battery box is dry rotted from sitting too long.
View attachment 114794 THe bottom needs a new coat the top i fine. I just cleaned it out and now I have to get the Cuddy seats out and clean them. I took everything out and I will have the engine professionally serviced and all gaskets replace. I piad 2K for it so I think I did good. Look forward to meeting people in the Fayetteville area for some awesome salt water fishing this spring.

Bill

billdewberry

Cadet

Nice I just got mine this month. My First one. I can't wait. The good thing is, the wife will never step foot on the boat. She hates the open sea. YIPPEE.

mr 88

Commander

Go to the Evinrude/Johnson forum and ask that question.You may have the correct prop,so do not buy anything until you take her out.Now if it calls for 5200 rpms and your turning 47/4800 with a 17" pitch prop you would then try a 15" that would put your RPMs in the 5/5200 range.Go in the other direction if you are over revving.In your boat 1 vs 2 people and a full load of gear would drop your rpms by 2-300 rpms.Test with a normal load,like two people and all gear you would be using.IF you cannot get a tach,use a GPS and check you speed,I would guess with that boat and a normal load 30-32 mph would be max speed.So if you hit that your prop MAY be in the right range.
the outboard I have is a Evinrude 65273s (1972 Evinrude 65 hp) where would I find the max RPM at WOT?

I believe my boat is a 16' MFG runabout

mr 88

Commander

Bill you may want to post in the Bayliner forum or the main forum that is not motor related,first one on main page.Then try the fishing forums.This is a MFG specific forum which has nothing to do with your boat,good luck.
Hello Iboat team. I am also new. Just purchase a 1998 Bayliner Capri Cuddy with a 4.3 Alpha 1 V6. I got the boat from a dude that let it sit fit for 3 years. The engine is solid and there are no leaks. I am also a memebr of the Coast Guard Auxillary here in NC so I look forward to some major Boating. THe boact came with all safety and 6 poles with tackle. Solar battery Charger and extra Bettery. 10 Life jackets spare parts, Engine flush kit. Electric battery charger and trailer. Radio CD and CB. I have to reapir one seat and clean the carpet. Also one piece of wood by the battery box is dry rotted from sitting too long.
View attachment 114794 THe bottom needs a new coat the top i fine. I just cleaned it out and now I have to get the Cuddy seats out and clean them. I took everything out and I will have the engine professionally serviced and all gaskets replace. I piad 2K for it so I think I did good. Look forward to meeting people in the Fayetteville area for some awesome salt water fishing this spring.

Bill

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I took the boat out for a test run today. runs GREAT!!! picking up a tachometer tomorrow so that I can "fine tune" things next time. I absolutely love this boat!!! best $300.00 I have ever spent.

thank you all very much for all the help. I'm sure I will have a million more questions to come for you guys

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...if it calls for 5200 rpms and your turning 47/4800 with a 17" pitch prop you would then try a 15" that would put your RPMs in the 5/5200 range....IF you cannot get a tach....

Most good marina dealers will have "clip-on" test tachometers as well as several different pitch props to try. Often, the "labor" charge is minimal if you buy the prop from them, sometimes free. A good marine tech will usually be able to make a "guess" after one tachometer on-the-water test that will be spot on. He will run that prop for a second test and then all you need to do is buy the prop and go away happy :)

That would be my recommendation. Shortest, most accurate path the the intended result. In the end may be less costly than making a mistake that a seasoned tech would not.

BTW- without my trolling plate, downriggers, and all my fishing equip aboard, my 14' Niagara with 40hp '85 Suzuki has hit 34.x MPH on my GPS. With all the weight in it and trolling plate on, 28-29-ish MPH top speed depending on chop and day, but I usually just run 19-24mph as it seems to burn about half the fuel with not much time penalty on the grand scale of things.

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey!
Welcome to the forum.
just a note on all this prop stuff: I use my boat for skiing and tubing, so power is more important than top speed. I went with the stock prop on my 69' Johnson 55hp, and she will push my 70' 13ft MFG Carefree along @ 30mph by GPS all day with 4 people and a skier. Aluminum is way cheaper, especially since stainless steel is climbing in price. Also, you can have an aluminum prop reconditioned much less expensively than a stainless one. the lakes I run are rocky, and every now and then, you can gety a little shallow...
Best of luck with the new ride. Can't beat a boat.

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HEY GUY'S WELCOME,YOU WILL FIND ALL THE INFO. YOU NEED RITE HERE At iboats FOR YOUR BOATS AND MOST PARTS. ENJOY.