evinrude 9.5 hp sportwin yr and model unknown wont stay on

yamar6racer

Cadet
110911_004.jpg110919_001.jpg110919_002.jpg110911_003.jpgHello i picked up an evinrude no Serieal plate so the model and yr are up for grabs. But if i had to guess ad say 68 seen a few with the same color scheame as mine and it looks like a 68. I have cleaned the carbs and rebuilt it. Changed and checked the fuel lines. New gas with a 50:1 fuel mixture 87 octane. inspected the spark plugs and cleaned them. Look at the electronics under fly wheel and cleaned contacts. Not sure how to set the points but its all clean. The motor will start but at low idle it has a miss. if i cover the carb intake about half with finger the miss goes away but if i hold the throttle full open it will rev up for about 5-10 secs and then die. Any suggestion? i am new to outboards but have read some of the threads but know im kinda stumped. i order the rebuilt kit for the fuel pump and will be doint this next. I did remove it and blew air into the fuel intake port air did flow this way but i hear a slight air leak coming from somewhere else than the carb hose port. When i blow into the carb out port nothing no air or leaks sonds which is as it should be. Really could you some advice.

Attachments

• P9160086.jpg
    P9160086.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral
Re: evinrude 9.5 hp sportwin yr and model unknown wont stay on

top secret file at the start of this forum. pics might help narrow down what you have.

yamar6racer

Cadet

here are some pics after i painted it.

nwcove

Admiral

nice paint job, but have a look on the side of the motor maybe, welch plug on the cyl wall.

yamar6racer

Cadet

i did replace the welch plugs as part of the carb rebuilt it. I noticed the the big one was rather loose before i tapped it in. what i did was tap it out of the carb before placing it in. this cuased it to be a little more snug and then finished taping in place. i noticed that it went all the way in next to the filler plug inside the carb. no noticeble leaks of gas coming out of that welch plug but could air be getting in?

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

nwcove is referring to the core plug, or welch plug, or freeze plug (whatever you choose to call it) on the engine block. It should have a model number and serial number stamped into it. He's not talking about the welch plug on the carburetor. It's about the size of a quarter on top of the engine block. Yours may be painted over now.

yamar6racer

Cadet

The paint job did come out pretty good thks. good old walmart lol

kfa4303

Banned

Hi yamar6acer. Based on your description, it sounds like you need to adjust your carb a bit. Here's a great link on setting your carb and getting the lo/hi speed needles dialed in. Be sure you se the lo speed the idle in a test tank with water filled up to about and inch or two below the main exhaust port to ensure proper back pressure. The hi speed needle will need to be set on the open water with the motor underload. Here are some handy links forgetting her dialed in. Sounds like your close and just need a little tweaking.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/index1.htm
http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1968&hp=9.5&model=9822E

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This engine only has a low speed needle and fixed high speed jet. It is also notorious for exhaust leaks through the seal in the exhaust housing, which makes it get a lot of smoke up into the cowling wihle running in a test tank. You will have a hard time setting the idle that way. Unless you have a good breeze or a fan blowing the exhaust away from the carb throat, set the idle with the motor on a boat, in the lake, in forward gear.

Oh, BTW, if you think you may have a problem with air leaking in thru your welch plug that you drove in too far, dab some clear nail polish around the plug to seal the outer edges.

yamar6racer

Cadet

great man thank a lot. i will mess around and let you know what happens

yamar6racer

Cadet

how will i adjust the high speed needle on this carb being located where it is. according to some of the threads i have to do this on the water with the motor under load very unpracticle being to get to the needle with it installed is practacly impossible.

yamar6racer

Cadet

cancel last post. i just read its a fixed hispeed needle.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your motor doesn't have an adjustable high speed needle (according to the parts diagram). It has a fixed high speed jet. The low speed adjustment needle should protrude through the front of the motor cover with a knob. You'll want to adjust your idle in the water while underway. There's a thread about it in the FAQ.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.428534,-100.490851

yamar6racer

Cadet

What is the correct gap for the plugs. and what models plugs should i use j4j or j4c?

yamar6racer

Cadet

P9240334.jpgP9240335.jpgP9240336.jpgView attachment 115456ok cool. still not idling correctly i even rebuilt the fuel pump think it was not getting enough fuel. still does the same thing idles super rough at low rpms bad miss fire. when i throttle full goes away but after a few seconds completely dies. i disasemble the carb again just in case their is some minut debri still in there. i notice that when i was spraying the top half og the carb from one of the bottom ports carbb cleaner shot out from a small hole close to the choke intake. i was wondering if this could be my problem if possibly a lead shot missing.i added a pic to show you were the fluid comes out of.

yamar6racer

Cadet

i am also using reg 2 cycle oil should i be using something else?

f16dcc431

Petty Officer 3rd Class

reg 2 stroke oil is fine to reduce on the smoke use the synthetic oil