Starter Continues to Spin After Key Released

pbmang

Cadet
It is a 1978 Glastron Adventura 214 and the motor is an OMC 185. Quite the dinosaur.

When I got the boat, the starter was bad. I installed a new marine starter, and now when I turn the key, the starter turns just fine. However, when I release the key, the starter continues to spin (but slows down) for about a couple seconds before finally coming to complete stop. The starter does not continue to engage the motor, just spins.

I noticed there is a second solenoid connected to the starting solenoid, and was wondering if this could be my problem, or if I possibly have something wired wrong. I called Sierra about it, and they said it was normal, however I've never heard of this before. Their attitude seemed to be it's under a lifetime worry about it, so don't worry.

Any thoughts from anyone would be very helpful. This boat is going to need a total rewire due to the insulation on the current wires being very brittle, so I want to tackle the ignition system first. But before I start putting in new wires, I want to make sure it is all wired correctly now and this starter won't burn up prematurely.

Thanks
Chris

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starter Continues to Spin After Key Released

I noticed there is a second solenoid connected to the starting solenoid, and was wondering if this could be my problem, or if I possibly have something wired wrong.

Ayuh,.... The 2nd solenoid is to provide full voltage, which the key can't do over such a long run...
It should be passin' power when the key is in the start position, 'n at no other time..
It might be hangin' up, so check it...

It's also entirely possible ya screwed up the wiring durin' the swap, so check that too...;)