Need some advice

lakefan06

Recruit
I am thinking about buying a tahoe boat, I have not decide if I want a new one or a slightly used boat maybe like a 08 and up. I really like the q7, I would wakeboard/kneeboard more than anything. This will be my first boat but I have been around boats. I see a lot of mixed reviews on the tahoe boats but seems mostly good from people that have them. I just dont want to have to work on it every weekend before I go to the lake, I am a mechanic by profession so I know how to work on things. But just dont want to deal with a lot of problems. Just want to know what kind of common problems I might have to deal with also is new better than slightly used. Any advice would be great. The only local dealers I have are for tahoe and crownline, I have a local small tahoe dealer (not BPS) that is great to deal with. I think crownline is out of my price range so I am leaning toward tahoe for money and convience reasons. Thanks in advance for the replys.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need some advice

Generally, for me, used means less loss due to depreciation. Outside of that I know nothing about those boats... too rich for my pocket book. I've got 15 boats and only one of them did I pay over $1,000 for. Yep, I work on them VERY frequently....

Mordekai

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought new BUT if I was to do it all over again, I'd buy slightly used, pay a local dealer to do a once over or get a surveyor.

As for Tahoe's fit and finish. You do pay for what you get for. Being a price point boat, slightly less shine and bling are installed but it will still get you on the water.

For me, I had to glue a few pieces of trim back up and tightened a few screws but no biggie.

jack_pine

Seaman Apprentice

New/used addressed above.

I will buy new and take the deprecation because I want exactly what I want and plan on keeping for a long time. That's my call and understand the opposing view. (fyi.. I want yellow color, dual brakes and an upgrade 24v trolling motor, and some other stuff) Can't find one of those on the floor. Bass Pro or independent.

So the question is Tahoe or not, which I think was part of your question. In my research, I have found they had a hull issue a few years ago. Supposedly that has been corrected. I am still confirming. If true I thing these boats are a great value. Just where I am now. For me, looking at wt 216, there is not another boat that competes with it.

Would be interested in any thoughts, pro or con.

grendelsniper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought used, more affordable and found what I wanted, new as I could afford ski fish with a tandem trailer and a v8, unfortunately it was in texas, but I bought it and had it shipped to me, no problems other than needing tires. I did a few upgrades of my own but I do not wrench on her at all before trips, just the basic check batteries grease bearings sort of thing.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Hi grendelsniper.
Welcome to iboats and congratulations on your purchase. I couldn't help to notice that you have a 21"p, 4 bladed prop. Doesn't that decrease your rpm's to below manufacture specifications? I tried that pitch on my Q7i and because it lowered my rpm's, I switched to a 19"p if I'm by myself. With more than three people on board, I'll switched props to 17" or 18".

For boat cover, you should shop here on this website...They have great sales and specials. My cover is not waterproof and I put a clear plastic tarp (visqueen) over the canvas cover. I buy a box of 10' x 100' x 6 mils at Home Depot and cut it to length I need. Because, after a few weeks under the sun, the plastic starts to deteriorate under the UV's and breaks apart. Out of that 100' box, I can make four covers that will last me two years.

I use these tie down clips (http://www.homaxproducts.com/products/tarping/index.html) on the plastic tarp and bungee cord them onto my trailer. You don't need to use too much tension on cords and is just to keep the tarp from flying away.

I'm in Vallejo and you should go check out Gone Fishin Marine in Vacaville when you get the chance. They have everything you need for your Q6.

grendelsniper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my q6 came stock with a 21p three blade and since I upgraded to a 4bbl carb it has way more power, currently I am hitting the rev limiter with me and my two kids. I tried a 23p loved the prop but hole shot was not there for tubing I might try same pitch but bigger prop like the revolution 4 in a 21p. I am not looking for a water proof cover cause I am going to pick up a costco car port cover so yeah most likely be getting it from here. I would love to check out the gone fishin marine shop in your neck of the woods. thanks for info this place is great.

Hi grendelsniper.
Welcome to iboats and congratulations on your purchase. I couldn't help to notice that you have a 21"p, 4 bladed prop. Doesn't that decrease your rpm's to below manufacture specifications? I tried that pitch on my Q7i and because it lowered my rpm's, I switched to a 19"p if I'm by myself. With more than three people on board, I'll switched props to 17" or 18".

For boat cover, you should shop here on this website...They have great sales and specials. My cover is not waterproof and I put a clear plastic tarp (visqueen) over the canvas cover. I buy a box of 10' x 100' x 6 mils at Home Depot and cut it to length I need. Because, after a few weeks under the sun, the plastic starts to deteriorate under the UV's and breaks apart. Out of that 100' box, I can make four covers that will last me two years.

I use these tie down clips (http://www.homaxproducts.com/products/tarping/index.html) on the plastic tarp and bungee cord them onto my trailer. You don't need to use too much tension on cords and is just to keep the tarp from flying away.

I'm in Vallejo and you should go check out Gone Fishin Marine in Vacaville when you get the chance. They have everything you need for your Q6.