water hose rusted

hollan681

Cadet
So I was looking around the engine checking for anything unusual. I squeezed on the main water hose and felt as if something was lodged in there. I loosened both clamps and discovered rusted metal peices and a spring inside the hose. Should I be worried about the engine internals, is there a way to flush the system? Are there more problems ahead?? should i replace the thermostat? Where can I buy this hose (with or without the spring). My engine serial # is 0b676300 or 08676300 ...cant tell wether the 8 is a B or an 8?? 1988 mercruiser 3.0 alpha one

thanks in advance,

steve

Bondo

Staff member
Re: water hose rusted

Ayuh,... The Main Water Hose, from where to where,..??

FastFission

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Assuming it's like a car (I'm brand new to powerboating), there is typically a spring just small enough to fit inside of the water pump intake hose. I did notice those checking on a few boats during my recent buying adventure. The spring is to keep the hose from collapsing due to the suction of the pump. Without the spring, the intake hose can collapse and stop water flow through the engine. I guess I'd leave the rest to people on this forum who know more than I.

hollan681

Cadet

Bond-O

the hose is coming from the thermostat housing to i dont what else?? its a u shaped hose part # 32-96879.

thanks.

thank u also fastfission for the spring info, i wasnt sure?