When cranking 4.3 cobra, water shoots out below the starter with muffs on

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When cranking 4.3 cobra, water shoots out below the starter with muffs on.

A steady stream of water shoots out below the starter when I crank this 4.3 cobra engine (1990 conquest). Is there a cooling hose or something that could be loose back there. Its hard to get back there to actually see where its coming from, but I could try and take a mirror to investigate more.

Any idea of whats going on with this water stream when the motor cranks.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: When cranking 4.3 cobra, water shoots out below the starter with muffs on

It could be your steering heat exchanger. But you will have to look to make sure. Is it pretty hard to see behind it?

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My first thought would be an open petcock drain. There's one on each side of the block.

Dakota47

Yep, Drain plug. there are 4 , 2 on manifolds and 2 on the block

Idlespeedonly

And one on the exchanger

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Another source is a casting block popped out on the back of the block. Has the boat seen freezing temps without being winterized?

The reason you don't see it until the engine cranks is that water doesn't get by the raw water pump in the drive until you crank it.

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It very well could have seen freezing temperatures without being winterized. I'm not sure. I'll ask the owner. He knows even less about boats then me.

Whats involved in winterizing an inboard outboard? Do I have to drain some water coolant?

I only know about stabiling the fuel, changing lower unit oil, fogging the cylinders on an outboard.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Draining the block by pulling all 4 plugs, draining the exhaust manifolds and draining the power steering cooler.

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have a closed circuit cooling system, you don't need to drain it. Just be sure your antifreeze level is topped up and that the concentration is good for -35. This will protect the 'closed' side of the system. If it's getting old or looks at all dirty, change it and then you'll have fresh corrosion inhibiter in your engine.

For the open side of your cooling system, flush it if it's been run in salt or brackish water and then drain it thoroughly. If it's only seen fresh water then don't bother, just drain it. Adjust your trailer jack so that the engine is as level as possible. Lower the outdrive. Consult your manual and remove every (raw water) drain plug on your system including the outdrive, heat exchanger(s), raw water pump, etc and any hose that could have standing water in it. Again, no need to drain the coolant in a closed circuit cooling system. Double check to ensure you have all the raw water drained. If you miss anything, it could cost you your engine block. Crud can block water drom draining when plugs are removed, so use a nail or small screwdriver to poke around in each opening to help clear any blockage, allowing any water to drain. When finished, replace all the plugs & hoses.

If stored outdoors in the winter, keep the outdrive lowered. Snow & water can collect in the propeller housing and freeze, cracking the housing.

For more info on preparing for winter storage, read this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=178695

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

OP has an OMC. None ever came with closed cooling unless someone added it later.

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow a neglected i/o from a defunct company sure sounds like a scarey project. I love the excitement so far.

Thanks for all the help.

So I'm looking for these plugs to see if any of them are open. Are these four plugs removed by hand or with a wrench like an oil drain plug on a car. Where ever that water was coming from it was under the engine on the aft end. It was real hard to identify where exactly it was coming from, but it did seem like a steady stream like a plug was open or a hose was disconnected.

Lets say I'm missing a plug. Where would I find a new one. Are they a standard size availble at marine stores?

Also how would I determine if it was not winterized properly and froze up with water in it?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Also how would I determine if it was not winterized properly and froze up with water in it?
Pressurize the cooling system. That is of course once you make sure all the plugs are in.

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok so now that the we got the motor unseziezed the owner says he'll locate the plugs and put them back in. Why he was trying to start the motor with the plugs removed is beyond me. That should clear that issue up.

So when we put a wrench on the crankshaft it was seized, but eventually it started to move. Now it moves pretty easily. I'm only saying it was seized because it didn't want to move at all, but after eventually cranking it around by hand it moves way easier now. I assume all those unlubed parts were nice and rusted together inside the engine.

What should this show for compression. Will that be a decent indicator of inside the engine condition?

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What is the recommended way of pressurizing the system. Do I just crank the engine and make sure it does not leak?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

No, you have to block off the hoses going to the exhaust manifolds and remove the hose going to the thermostat from the outdrive with a short piece of hose with some parts that you will have to rig up to have a schrader valve and a pressure gauge. Here is an example of another iboats poster pressurizing his system. 15PSI is all you need.
IMG_0155.jpg

Bruce, is dealing with this the reason you are so mean??? andrewbabich the plugs on a boat are easy to see, locate them, all 4 and then have someone crank over the engine and if its still pumping water into the bilge and not from one of the 4 drains its most likely a freeze plug... IE improperly winterized...

Bondo

Staff member

Bruce, is dealing with this the reason you are so mean??? andrewbabich the plugs on a boat are easy to see, locate them, all 4 and then have someone crank over the engine and if its still pumping water into the bilge and not from one of the 4 drains its most likely a freeze plug... IE improperly winterized...

Hmmm,... Providing true, factual Info is mean,..??

Where/ how do you see that,..??

As fer your post,...
Have you seen this motor in this boat,..??
What makes ya think the drain plugs are Easy to see,..??
In most boats, the drain plugs are buried, 'n can't be found, even if ya know where they are...
And,...
There's no such thing as a Freeze plug...
They're Core plugs, from the casting process, 'n are not to protect the block from freezin', 'n Rarely do...

It appears to Me, that yer stalking Bruce,...
If so, further actions will be taken....
'n it won't be against Bruce...

Good day...

Bond-o I'm not stalking bruce, he just seems like a negative guy. Rereading this post I was wrong here. Yes freeze plugs are really core plugs but if you go to 90 percent of the parts guys, 96 percent of mechanics (auto techs out number marine lol) or 99.9 percent of the general public and ask what a CORE plug is in an engine you will get a blank stare.. Friday when I get my proper spark arrestor air filter from a Marine auto shop I will ask "what is a core plug".. I'm curious how they will anwser:).... As for freeze plugs, its a cobra 4.3... If someone was cranking the engine or he bought a starter remote switch he should be able to see where the leak is coming from... Really how much pressure is caused from cranking? edit, in the automotive world they say current flows positive to negative, how does current flow in the marine world???

Last edited: