motors got wet what do I do now

max2fastboat

Cadet
So the end of the season my be the end of my boating. Went out to the boat this morning to find her low in the
water batteris died and had lost the bilge pump ( port out drive has a small leak in the bellows about a month)
any was the engines went under just over the starters. Installed new batteries boat is now drying and the other
batties are charging, I will have the boat pulled this week, WHAT DO I DO NOW????????????

twin 1987 mercruiser 470:confused:

V-Tech

Seaman Apprentice
Re: motors got wet what do I do now

I had a very similar experience due to excessive rainfall into an uncovered boat. Starter submerged and all. I have a mercruiser 350. I'm not sure if there is an exact right answer to your question, but I can tell you what worked for me. As soon as I got the water out I made sure there was no water in the engine oil (crankcase) and I ran the boat until the engine was completely warmed up. Then I let it dry out thourghly and have not had any problem in the seven years since that occurred.

I hope it is that easy for you.

TomB985

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: motors got wet what do I do now

I've seen people like V-tech who haven't had to replace anything, yet the prevailing wisdom here seems to be replace the submerged components. Of course I would try drying things out and hoping for the best.

On a serious note, what were you thinking? Leaving a boat in the water with leaky bellows? I know, hindsight is 20/20, but this could have completely sunk your boat! Really glad to hear you caught it before things got much worse!