Prepping for Splash! 1977 Super Sport, 18' with Suzuki DF115

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's been a long time coming, 1-1/2 years since I first dragged the hull home. If plans come together I'll splash her this Thursday. It took me a while to find my motor. I've got a 2001, 115hp Suzuki 4 stroke
on her. Had to make a box to side mount the controls, I believe the motor came off of a center console boat. Managed to get a few seats set up. There were 4 mounts for pedestals, so I took the seats from my Alumacraft, didn't like them on there anyway (sat up too high), bought new posts and attached the seats to them. Now I won't have to use buckets for my sea trial. Got my bilge pump working. I won't do a full restore until I've used it a while and figure what I really want. She's not nearly as pretty as some of the restores I've looked at here, but I'm hopeful she'll perform well. I don't have a kicker at this time but I do have a serviceable trolling motor that will be on board.

My plan is to have my brother on board with me and my brother in law with his jet ski along as well. I figure I'll launch and linger close to the ramp for a little bit to make sure she floats. I have no reason to
think she won't, but it's untested at this point. Motor is untested under load as well. Has 500 hours on it, cranks right up and idles fine in the yard. Then I'll cruise up river and see how she performs.

I have two choices of props to start with, both are stainless, a Suzuki 14 X 22 and a Stiletto 14 X 24. My recommended operating range is 5k to 6k. Haven't decided which prop to start with. Any thoughts?
I'll have my GPS to gauge speed and the tach ( Suzuki multi-function) seems to be working.

I'm seeking any thoughts, suggestions or concerns. I'll take any good vibes I can get as well. Hoping for good weather on Thursday. I'll of course be following up with a full report.

Thanks to all iboaters whose information has helped me get to this point.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Prepping for Splash! 1977 Super Sport, 18' with Suzuki DF115

A year and a HALF?
Where has your thread been amigo?

BEST OF LUCK on the splash!

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

Good luck in the water!

I am also running a 115hp motor, although it is an old 2 stroke Merc, on my 18' SS. I am
running a 15p prop, for an elevation of about 6k feet. So I guess go with the 22 and see if you can get to max RPMs. If you can get there you will be flying!

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

A year and a HALF?
Where has your thread been amigo?

BEST OF LUCK on the splash!

There hasn't been a lot of activity to write about. The boat has been sitting in the yard taunting me while I searched for a motor. I've got some crabs to catch and some cruising to do before I tear it all apart and restore.