Bought controls with wires cut....Need a little help from my friends!

kayakndave

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Everyone. Need your expertise again! Recently bought a 1982 50 HP Johnson. Runs great, but the controls that came with it had been monkeyed with and are in rough shape. I'd have to jiggle the handle just right to get it to start. Decided to just get another set of controls. The set I had were prob from mid-late 70's. They have the red plug. The set I just bought are in great shape, bought for $30. OMC black control box (no safty lanyard) but previous owner had cut wires just beyond a square plug leaving about 6 inches for rewire. The backside of this plug is numbered 1-6. Some of the wire colors match my old wires, although I have 8 wires from my old red plug harness. I have the color code chart for the old harness, but I have a white wire coming from the old that doesn't match anything. Here is what I have: Old/red plug harness: 1) white 2) Gray 3) Tan 4) blk w/ yellow trace 5) blk 6) purple w/ wht trace 7) purple 8) heavy guage red w/ purple trace. New set OMC controls: 1) yellow w/ red trace 2) blk w/ wht trace 3) purple 4) purple w/ wht trace 5) red w/ purple trace 6) blk w/ yellow trace. The new set also has a seperate harness for tilt/trim which I do not have on this motor. I connected obvious matching colors, and guessed at the others, but can't seem to get it to start. I did see that the old "white" wire could possibly be a faded yellow w/ red trace, but it sure must be faded! Any help w/ how to connect theses wires properly would be greatly appreciated!

freddyray21

Commander
Re: Bought controls with wires cut....Need a little help from my friends!

get a wiring diagram of both

kayakndave

Seaman Apprentice

Yep Freddyray...been trying to find the wiring schematics for this new box, but can't seem to find it anywhere on the web. May have bought something I can't use. I can find schematics for the red plug harness everywhere. ???

freddyray21

Commander

you will just need to figure out what wire does what and match them up.

kayakndave

Seaman Apprentice

Just found a set of controls on ebay exactly like the controls I just bought. In the description he says for 1996 and newer models. I know I should be able to wire it up so that these controls will work, but getting fed up. The new set has a decal indicating a safty lanyard, but I don't see where it would go. No little red button, and doesn't appear to be where the key switch is. That may be why it isn't starting. Might just sell these and purchase another set. This time with the red plug harness intact!