No spark 1992 Mercuiser 3.0l

venice17517

Cadet
I broke down on the water yesterday and found no spark at any of the wires. Not even at the coil. The test light work on the wires to the coil. The rotor turns when I crank the motor, and the cap and rotor due not look bad. The boat was running fine and then just stoped. Had to be towed back to the ramp, not fun. Could use some help with diagnostic check.

thanks,
Mike

Re: No spark 1992 Mercuiser 3.0l

Could be a bad coil but there is a test procedure so you don't just throw prts at.

Check for power on the (+) terminal to to the coil while the key is in the "run" position. Make sure to not use the (-) terminal of the coil as the ground for the test instrument. Either use a test light or even better would be a Digital Multi Meter.

Also check out this link below from the Adults Only Sticky at the beginning of this forum:

"How To Troubleshoot A Points Ignition System"
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=335407

LX Kid

Ensign

Make sure you points are in good condition, no pits or burnt looking on their face, and are adjusted to the proper gap. How old are the wires? If the above mentioned is ok it might be a bad high tension wire from the coil to distributor cap. Check your rotor button for signs of shorting and carbon tracking inside the cap. Just some things I'd like to pass on to check assuming you have voltage going to your coil and the negative lead is not grounding out going to the point set.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is the troubleshooting chart for your EST ignition.

Attachments

• EST Troubleshooting chart.pdf
    41.1 KB · Views: 0

venice17517

Cadet

Thanks Don for the chart is was a real help. I found a bad Ign. Module, I replaced it and the boat is running again.

Mike