placing stringers

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i rewatched Frissco's vid's and see where he placed foam under the stringers before glueing them in should that be done also on a try-hull?? i noticed that on the old stringers there is no spacers or anything? Also whats the best way to fix a small hole in the hull looks more like a nail hole?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: placeing stringers

there must be a space between the hull and the stringer.....or you will get what is called a hard joint.
even a popsicle stick between the stringer and the hull, will suspend a stringer far enough off the hull to prevent this.

to repair any hole in a fiberglass hull.....grind off the gellcoat on the out side....and put a few layers of csm over the hole., then on the inside....do the same.

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the hole i have looked and it looks more like a nail or screw just started to pock threw it. so its more like a very tinnny hole with chipping glass.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you want accurate answers to your questions, it is a really good idea to post pics of what you are dealing with. We can't see what you see and as we all know a Picture is worth a thousand words. There's a link in my signature below, on how to post your pics

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the repair is still the same bud......a little screw tip poking thru....or a hole you can crawl thru the basic repair is still the same

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

2011-09-16 19.02.42.jpg1316486327232.jpgI can't remember but didn't you Wood's use poly products on your boat? if so i used it on mine but when i tried to make PB with west cabasil it just clumped up?? am i useing the wrong stuff what else can i use also any one know anything about the fiberglass that contractors use on the sides of buildings ?? i have about 200 ft of it given to me was woundering if i can lay that down on the inside of the hull then put a coating of poly on top of it just to kinda make it like a stiffener?? also it feels good to have some what of a deck back on her.. Now a good question for some one i saw where Frisco added the corsca exhuast to his boat and i called the company that makes them and they don't make any for inline 6's so i was woundering if i got a Y pipe piece that J,C, whitneys sells it has a cable controled butterfly valve in it to switch from one to the other, and mount it to the top of the exhuast tube and run it out the transom and with a pull of the cable go from prop to straight pipe? any ideas??

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your pics are not showing up. They are just listed as an attachment. I did the same mistake. They will probably show up for you because the link is on your computer but not for the rest of us.
Follow the instructions all the way and make sure that you get to the upload pic step.
Good luck.

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, as soon as I posted that they showed up.

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so they finaly showed /?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That mesh will not work for your boat. I have never used West Systems resin but adding cabosil to any resin should not make it clump. Did you add the MEKP before or after adding the Cabosil? You should add before to get a proper mix IMHO. Add the cabosil gradually and not in one big dump.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

That mesh will not work for your boat. I have never used West Systems resin but adding cabosil to any resin should not make it clump. Did you add the MEKP before or after adding the Cabosil? You should add before to get a proper mix IMHO. Add the cabosil gradually and not in one big dump.

I think he ment West "cabosil" and not resin .. :)

Weekender .. Sometimes ( most times ) cabosil will clump in the packaging. You have to Break it apart with your fingers ( or a flour sifter works GREAT *hint* ).

You will have to Mix and mix and mix and mix .. keep mixing and smashing those little chunks of cabosil until there gone if you dont De-clump it first.

Cabosil is not just a " put some of this in there and pour some resin and mix" thing. Its .. different then the usual fillers.

This is what I do. Put your cabosil in a paper cup ( bucket or dixie cup depending on how much you will need ). Put your hand in there and start to finger all of those chunkies until you really cant feel them anymore. Then I mix the resin in until I have the desired consistency. Let the mix "Induct" sorta speak for 10 min. .. then I batch off what I want to use and add the MEKP. Mix the MEKP well with the putty and apply.

With a Small nail hole I would just die grind a bit around the hole and apply/pack in the Cabosil mix. ( no glass ).

YD.

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the cabosil was flaky more like a feather type of "consistady" probly not spelled right lol but i used the cabosil when i was useing west systems epoxy resin. and now i'm working with poly resin i mixed in alot and it just stayed in little clumps like small foam beads. even useing a drill mixer makes me think i can't use west cabosil with poly resin. and also from what i am getting the the fiberglass cloth i have showing in the picture wont work? i was planing on laying it down on the inside of the try-hull then put some poly resin over it just to use as a stiffner since the hull flexes a little i am also thinking about useing some kind of a 2 part or bottum paint on the hull to cover and seal up all the gell coat cracks and suggestions for a bottum paint?

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well got the stringers cut and dry placed and glued in and also made some bulk heads for the center of the keel since there was none and set them for the storage locker. still have to finish making the floor and then dry placement and some floor ties to the stringers so once all stringers are in place and i ever get the gimbel baring out and new one in and the stern drive put back on i am going to take her to the lake and drop her in to look for any leeks before doing the foam and setting the floor in. 2011-09-24 19.29.09.jpg2011-09-24 19.37.15.jpg

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Updates

Updates

well got the stringers all glassed in and the motor mount done but can't put it in till i get the engine alliment tool also got the floor or deck cut and dry placed still need to make 1 more builk head to place infront of the motor mount. have a problem thou i have noticed that on the new floor where i have 3 butt joints on the sides going to the hull they flexe and since there is no way to put anything under them for support do to there is only 2 inch from bottum of floor to hull and since don't want anything against the hull while she is in the water what do i do??? do i get some 4lb or 8lb foam? and place under there?? any info would be good please

Attachments

• 2011-09-24 19.37.15.jpg
    2011-09-24 19.37.15.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-25 19.23.28.jpg
    2011-09-25 19.23.28.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-25 19.23.53.jpg
    2011-09-25 19.23.53.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-25 19.24.34.jpg
    2011-09-25 19.24.34.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Updates

Not sure I understand your butt joint issue. Take some pics or make a drawing so we can see what you're issue is. If you are talking about the Plywood flexing at the joints you can place some 1/4 plywood at the joints on the underside to help stop this, but remember when you glass the deck, fillet it to the hull and tab it to the hull this flex will disappear.

Friscoboater

Captain

Ditto on the but joint thing. Not sure what you are talking about.

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Frisco i have watched and watched your vid's over and over again and i am very impressed with the work you have done on both boat's the whole Butt thing comes back to when i use to build houses when we join 2 seams together there called but joints as in like with drywall. sorry for the confussion on that but yes what i was talking about was the seam joints on the floor i know i am going to glass and tab them to the hull but the problem i ran into was when you set foot on the floor where the joints are they would flex or sag. i know alot have said to not glue or glass stringers to the hull with out a spacer under them. and if i was to make a small stringer under the floor joints the problem i run into is there is only a 1 inch gap between the bottum of the floor and the hull and i really don't want anything to rub a hole in the hull. i thought about useing 4 or 8lb foam under just those joint areas.. any thoughts ??

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Once you glass the plywood it will in effect be one sheet and the flex will be dramatically reduced. If you still think it needs some additional support, do like woodonglass said and put a strip of 1/4 ply under the seem so it ties the two sheets together on the bottom also.

Friscoboater

Captain

Sorry I missed this question. you will not need any support once you PB the edges and glass it down. Plus if you are foaming, the foam will add some support.