looking for a good bowrider

lakefan06

Recruit
I am looking at getting a boat, I have always been around bass boats so I know nothing about bowriders. A bowrider will better suit my needs though. I am thinking about a fish and ski I have been looking at a tahoe q7sf but have read a lot of good and bad posts on here about tahoes. I just need some advise on what other boats would be worthing looking at and also if tahoes are any good. I am looking to spend around 15k, I would like around a 20 ft boat and a i/o, would also like a wake tower and swim platform, maybe some sort of sound system or cd player would be need. I kneeboard/wakeboard more than I fish so the boat doesn't have to be a fish and ski. I just want a good boat that I dont have to work on every weekend before I can put it in the water. There is a lot of info on this site but a lot of what I find is different needs then mine and old posts. I was hoping I could get some current info about the boat market. Thanks any advice would be great.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
Re: looking for a good bowrider

Lots of bow riders on craigslist. You are in the used boat market so it may take you some time to find a Tahoe you like. Go check out some boats on craigslist that you think you like. Here are some popular names: Bayliner, glastron, four winns, crownline, chapparal, rinker, larson. The names go on and on. The engine and power is a big deal. Probably going to find mercruiser or volvo out there. Stay away from OMC. When you are ready to buy make the sale contingent upon a marine inspection of the motor, transom, floors etc......

lakefan06

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. Any more advice would be great thanks a lot.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Not at all saying they're junk but Tahoes are bottom of the line. Next up (or even with) would be Bayliner. As mentioned though, with used boats it's all about current condition more so than brand names. Any boat that isn't rotted and has a good non-obsolete drivetrain can be a good buy. You should be able to pick up a very nice boat with your pricerange. You may have to add a tower yourself though.

Carlito

Seaman Apprentice

ezmobee,
If you keep climbing the ladder, what would be next up from Tahoe/Bayliner?
What at the top end of the ladder?

I konw its all your personal judgement, but will anyway illustrate me...

airshot

Rear Admiral

If you have never owned a boat before, you have a lot of reaserch to do. One thing to give serious consideration to is hull material. If you are going to swap boats frequently fiberglass material give some very unique hull designs and a great ride. If longevity is a primary goal consider aluminium hulls. There are far more old alum boats on the market than glass. This is just a quick example of the type of considerations and research you need to do. Where the boat will be used is also a main concern, inland lakes will not abuse a hull nearly as much as using the boat on a big lake or ocean. Many people buy boats because they look great, only to find the boat does not suit their needs. If buying used, the cost of a well qualified marine surveyor is chicken feed when compared to the cost of replacement and maintainence. Do your homework and you will have a very enjoyable family activity. Best of luck to you.

Airshot

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

He's in salt airshot. As big a fan of aluminum boats as I am, I wouldn't put one on my short list for primarily salt use.

Carlito, Cobalt is top of the line for bowriders but like I said, I'd be looking for a saltwater model for your use and I don't know much about those brands. I think Trophy is on the low-mid range for those. Grady White on the high end.

airshot

Rear Admiral

How correct you are...did not realize the salt water part.

Airshot

Philster

Captain

Might I suggest you consider new? You can land something like this, and the financing will be better because it's new, and if you take care of it, I guarantee the cost over the life of the boat is less. And... forget what they are asking. Boat deals are out there.

Let me put it this way: Go used if it saves you 15 grand plus Then, you put 5 grand in or aside for issues and are 10 grand ahead. Don't go used to save a few thousand. Go new to get a deal over the winter, better finance terms and great insurance rates, and it gives you a chance to get full warranty and some nice perks the dealer might toss in.

Rarely is the cost of ownership for a used boat honest. Usually, it's well short of the true cost of ownership. Used boats can be great bargains, but in your budget range and needs range, you're so darn close to a new boat I don't know what you'd save. Now, if you had 15 grand to spend on a high performance boat, then well used it is, but your description says, "I can afford a new entry-level or mid-level boat".

2011 STARCRAFT SPORT 195 Bowrider Runabout Item ID:On Order

Price: $18,995
Description: The 2011 Starcraft Sport 195 is the wider longer alternative in our value Sport series. Package is also being offered with a 3.0L Mercruiser sterndrive engine on a custom trailer. This boat has similar features & sport seating layout to our 185 model but comes with a finished fibreglass floor. Optional snap in carpet is available. Large in floor storage, ski eye & interior courtesy lights are also included. Numerous canvas options available as well as choice of 5 hull colours. Boat performs well with standard engine but is also available with 4.3L upgrade, call for details.

Attachments

• ___2011-Starcraft-195-Sport.jpg
    ___2011-Starcraft-195-Sport.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I picked up my searay 190 with only 125 hours on it for $15k. used it for 3 years and put 150 hours on it, then sold it for the Cruisers. absolutely loved the boat on the ICW.

I have seen newer 21's and bigger going for about $13-$15k.

either find one with a fresh water kit, or put a flush kit on it. mine was trailered and I installed a superflush SF400

southkogs

Staff member

Carlito: Where are you located? That might help with some suggestions.

Carlito

Seaman Apprentice

Liam, Peru (South America) - cold south pacific waters. Was planning on an import from South Florida....

UncleWillie

Captain

Do not fail to consider the cost of operation.
A boat twice as big (Length) is really 8 times as large. (Volume)
Roughly a 25% length increase buys you twice the boat along with twice the expenses.
There are a lot of boats at marinas that people own but can not afford to take to sea very often.

Consider fuel and maintenance.
Smaller boats might get close to 6 miles per gallon, larger ones, closer to 2mpg.
Are you planning on trailering it home or renting a slip at a marina $$$ ?
If you are trailering it home, do you have something to tow it with?
Your average SUV will not tow a 1400 kilo 18-20 footer.
Are you even allowed to keep a boat in your driveway? Will it fit?
Many communities in the US require that it not be seen from the street.

I do not mean to discourage you. Just make sure you have all the logistics planned for your situation before you buy.

Happy Planning ... Bill.