Canoe question

milkjub

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone I just boat a fiberglass canoe for $100 and it has a transom equiped for a motor. The transom measures 20 inches and my motor is a short shaft. Just wondering if this would work as a pair or if I have to cut the transom lower. Thanks

BonairII

Commander
Re: Canoe question

Try it and find out for yourself. What size motor? I'd imagine it would work since you won't be travelling a high speeds?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If you got one of those "big" laker canoes with the square back (transom) watch yourself.
Cornering is an artform and watch how you take a wave.
You may want to extend the throttle/steering handle and move some of the weight to the bow to balance out the load.

robert graham

Admiral

I've run a 17' aluminum canoe with a 17" tall transom with a 3HP Tanaka for 25+ years with no problems at all. But with your transom being 20" it might work as it is or it might need cutting down an inch or 2. Only way to tell is drop that motor on there and try it. Good Luck!

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mount it and see. There are side mounting brackets available as well so that would be an option if it doesn't fit on the stern.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Really surprised a canoe with a 20" transom.Many 15" motors actually measure about 17"
If the canoe tries to plane you may have trouble.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I suspect you will be fine. I run both a 3.5 Johnson and a 5 horse Yamaha on the back of our square stern Grumman 17 footer. The weight of the occupant/s plus motor back there will serve to push the relatively narrow stern down some as well. As stated, watch your balance and easy on sudden sharp turns. The outboard facing sideways at almost any speed makes for a marvelous lever!