ride glide to teleflex........................... Frustrated :(

Grew 194

Seaman Apprentice
ok here is the scoop My boat had a ride glide rack steering system in it and as I was told on here Good luck finding a new cable so I went to the teleflex rack kit . Now my ride glide cable is stamped 14 foot so I ordered a teleflex SSC 14114 kit to find out that the cable is a foot to short!!! (now What ) I looked at the cable and it has teleflex SSC 13414 on the cable so I measured it from the base of the rack where the cable starts to the tip that hooks on to steering arm on out drive and its 13 feet so whats up with that

southkogs

Staff member
Re: ride glide to teleflex........................... Frustrated :(

I feel your pain. I did the same thing this summer ... and I even re-measured the cable length down the gunwale the way the instructions tell you to. Don't know what to tell you to do, except that I have a 14' foot cable that I'm willing to sell too :D

Actually, I kept it thinking my son and I might build one of the old wood hydroplanes in a year or two.

BTW - ebay might surprise you with finding your original cable. I've kept all my original OMC rack stuff and I just missed purchasing an OMC cable like I need for the set on ebay. I've got the Teleflex on the boat now, but I think it turned better with the original OMC.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I have to say I did the same when I converted a boat over to console steering. I had ordered the steering system through Cabella's and called them and told them my problem. Mine was the opposite though, I ordered 1 foot too long. The nice lady on the other end of the phone said "no problem" and said they would exchange it even though the package was opened. She even e-mailed me a return shipping label. Cost to me - nothing but an extra week to wait for the new one to arrive. Doesn't hurt to try.

Bondo

Staff member

so I ordered a teleflex SSC 14114 kit to find out that the cable is a foot to short!!! (now What ) I looked at the cable and it has teleflex SSC 13414 on the cable

Ayuh,... Call 'em up, 'n request an exchange for what ya ordered...

Grew 194

Seaman Apprentice

Well went down today and talk to the sales guy about the steerng cable and he is more than happy to exchange it for me and maybe get a good discount on my next item I buy for the driving back and forth I am doin :)

Grew 194

Seaman Apprentice

well it,s all in and I had to go with a 15 foot rack cable from teleflex and it,s like it has power steerng now so for those that have a ride glide 14 foot cable if you go to teleflex rack system you need to order it in a 15 foot for it to work

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Guarantee you sir, you will not deal with a better bunch of folks than Teleflex. Won't go into details, but these people are here to serve the boating public and they do a stellar job. BTDT

On steering cables, no sharp bends or kinks and it is better to have a little extra and find place to "snake it" than it is to come up short or kink it.

Good Luck,

Mark