How can I fog my motor without starting it?

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok here's the deal. I have a Johnson 50 2 cylinder with 2 carbs. One carb is plugged up so it only runs on 1 cylinder so I can't run it as it is. I'm going to rebuild the carbs this winter but need to properly fog the powerhead. Should I spray some 2 cycle oil in the cylinders and rotate it by hand and call it good? Any suggestions?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: How can I fog my motor without starting it?

Spray some fogging oil into the carb, turn it over, then remove the plugs, spray some oil into both cylinders, re install plugs, turn over a couple times, done.

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok thanks! Do I just get fogging oil at any hardware store?

freddyray21

Commander

no real need imo to fog a two stroke.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That is right, pretty common stuff. I believe you guys have Autozones down there?

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

no real need imo to fog a two stroke.

Maybe not,but it sure is cheap insurance against rusted internals from condensation.It only needs to happen once and your motor is pretty much scrap.

I would spray fogging oil in the carbs while you are cranking it over.That will coat the internals the same as if it were running.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I see you are from Ontario Fatwing.....you have experienced storing an outboard in a Canadian winter. I always fog my motor before storing for the winter.

freddyray21

Commander

winters here don't get that cold. Unless they have been run dry (hope not) then the oil from the fuel mix is still in the cylinder. I have been running outboards since my early teens and have never fogged one (two stroke) I also don't run the gas out either unless long term storage. then I would fog a motor. put Stabil in the tank last run of the year then just put the motor up

jim765

Seaman

winters here don't get that cold. Unless they have been run dry (hope not) then the oil from the fuel mix is still in the cylinder. I have been running outboards since my early teens and have never fogged one (two stroke) I also don't run the gas out either unless long term storage. then I would fog a motor. put Stabil in the tank last run of the year then just put the motor up
also you could spray into carbs than take carbs off and than spray into openings for carbs,just to be on safe side, i always fog my motor for winter,and motor 40 hp merc is a 1995, neighbors love it when i start in spring with water sleave on lol burns tha fogger out and man,what a cloud lol.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

After you've spend a couple hours removing the head, spraying half a can of penetrating oil, and pounding on the pistons with a wood block to free the pistons rings while hoping a ring doesn?t break, fogging a engine no longer seems like a chore.

Don H

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree 100%. Not to say how rusted the bearings are.