1992 Mercruiser 4.3 LX Thunderbolt IV - Good or Bad Engine? Common Problems?

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm thinking about buying a 18ft Bow rider 92 model with the 4.3LX Thunderbolt IV engine.

My mechanic told me 4.3's are iffy. Told me that if I'm going to buy an inboard to stick with the 350 5.7 as he preferred them over the 4.3 or 5.0L engines.

I need to know if the 4.3L is not a good engine?

Common problems with this engine?

Misc, etc??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1992 Mercruiser 4.3 LX Thunderbolt IV - Good or Bad Engine? Common Problems?

The 4.3 is as reliable as the 5.7. Might be iffy as far as power for what you want to do, but not for reliability.
If you do want to put in a bigger engine, you will need a different gear ratio in the drive, not just a prop change.

To be honest, if the 4.3 isn't enough for you, find a boat that is. Repowering is not an inexpensive process.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1992 Mercruiser 4.3 LX Thunderbolt IV - Good or Bad Engine? Common Problems?

Don,

What is the HP on the 4.3L for 92?

Do you know what the Torque ft-lb?

The 4.3 is as reliable as the 5.7. Might be iffy as far as power for what you want to do, but not for reliability.
If you do want to put in a bigger engine, you will need a different gear ratio in the drive, not just a prop change.

To be honest, if the 4.3 isn't enough for you, find a boat that is. Repowering is not an inexpensive process.