Can someone explain this

slickster2

Seaman
have a johnson 10 horse its an oldie!!!!!!!!!!and it runs A1 but keep jumping out of geer looked it over and don't see why nothing broke thanks

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Can someone explain this

May have to split the lower unit and look for rounded clutch dog and forward gear.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Usually it's the clutch dog in the LU. You can also adjust the shifter to see if it helps. Which model/year is it?

Gwichers

Cadet

I have to say that Haffiman and samo_ott are bolth right on point.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Also, those old 10s have a spring clip and detent arrangement that holds the shift rod in place. I've seen a few that have had the spring clip bent or moved out of place (loosened). If you don't feel a positive engagement when shifting, that may be your issue - and you have to pull the gearcase apart to access it...

kfa4303

Banned

Hi slickser2. I have a '61 10 hp and it had the same symptoms you're describing and it turned out to be a worn clutch dog. They're about the only weak spot on these old motors, not to mention 50+ years of use. You should be able to find one on ebay, amazon, or other outboard parts sites, but they're not cheap ($80-$150) :/ I would try tracking down a donor motor if at all possible. You might be able to get the part for cheaper. The good news is that it's easy to replace and will make a world of difference. Good luck.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

What's your model number on your motor? 1958 and later had the smaller 4 bolt lower unit and were prone for failure. 1957 and earlier had the heftier 5 bolt lower unit, used on the old 18's and often can be taken care of by adjusting the shift linkage. If the problem persists after the shift linkage is adjusted properly, then just turn the clutch dog around and swap the gears around.

slickster2

Seaman

hi there the modle number is 00-12 and serial number is 111993 and i did find play where the handle connects to the shaft seeing how I know nothing about motors and have know book would you happen to have pix of the clutch dog thing and where i might find it thanks

slickster2

Seaman

hi there any pix of the clutch dog as I have no book and have know idea where it would be thanks

freddyray21

Commander

qd -12 is an 1951-52. It has the four bolt lower unit. the shift linkage on those is a bit different.

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1956 Evinrude 30 hp that had the same problem. After taking the lower unit apart I noticed wear on the edges of the shift dog and gears where they make contact. My motor uses the exact same gear for forward and reverse, with the exception of the bushing in the gears. So all I had to do was remove the gears and swap the bushings and switch them in position, " putting the forward gear for reverse and the reverse gear for forward". Flipped the shift dog around and reassembled. works perfect now, as contact is made on new sides of gears. if your forward and reverse gears are the same, you should be able to do this also. Just a thought.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Tonk62 - the 10hp in question does not have reversible gears....

freddyray21

Commander

Also, those old 10s have a spring clip and detent arrangement that holds the shift rod in place. I've seen a few that have had the spring clip bent or moved out of place (loosened). If you don't feel a positive engagement when shifting, that may be your issue - and you have to pull the gearcase apart to access it...

if it is indeed a QD-12 then is does not have the spring and detent arrangment. It's a standard gearcase same as the 5.5 or 7.5. I've got one out in the garage. The only difference is the shift rod and the way the shift linkage unhooks.

Haffiman

Commander

freddyray21

Commander

Took it from Marine Engine catalog site:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1956&hp=10

Together with the info he gave in an earlier posting:
'hi there the modle number is 00-12 and serial number is 111993'.

that is an Evinrude model number you are linking him to. He has a Johnson his 00-12 I am pretty sure should be QD-12 a much different motor than the later 10 hp. Carb is different. Lower is different ect.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would not base anything off of the model and serial number provided. Model number is non existent and serial number makes it a 1929 which we know is wrong.

slickster2

Seaman

ok took the numbers right off the plate on the motor no nothing about it and can't find repair manual

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

ok took the numbers right off the plate on the motor no nothing about it and can't find repair manual

Have another look.
Could the "00" actually be "QD"?
A bit of wear over the years on that plate may have made the letters a bit tough to read.