not sure what plug wires to use for my omc 4.3l with points

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have been having problems with not getting up on plane. my engine seems to lose power and "breaking up" in the higher rev area. i have done a bunch of work on this motor, in a 1987 boat. about the only thing left is the plug wires, right now it has HE noise resistant wires on it, are these ok to use or should i use some non HE wires on it. also when at the higher rpms with the timing light on, the light isn't consistant all the time, not really sure what to make of it.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: not sure what plug wires to use for my omc 4.3l with points

Are the points new looking, (no pits)? Gapped to .018"? Try a new condenser. Radio suppression wires are typically 1000 Ω per inch of length. If yours are much higher, there's gaps in the carbon threads, need to replace them.

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: not sure what plug wires to use for my omc 4.3l with points

my points, cond, cap, plugs and rotor are all new. and no i have my points set to about .025, i will try the smaller gap. and i will check my wire resistance. i didn't know the value. i have been looking for some copper core wires, but so far they seem to be obsolete (Napa). i'm going to check the ones at a marina nearby but they want twice the money for them and the parts guy doesn't know what they are made of (nice). thanks for the info i will will give it a shot.

i just checked the one wire i have with me from the boat. it is 39" long and on the 200k scale it read 2.31 of resistance. i'm not the best with understanding the resistance scales. does this one check out? i will check out the rest tomorrow night.

thanks for the help

Last edited: