No throttle in reverse PLEASE HELP

birch

Recruit
I have searched and searched posts I have an 88 1950 capri with a omc cobra 5.0 My problem is I took my boat to a mechanic to get a new keeper on my cable jacket. Told I need the new cable as the plastic part comes on the shift cable. Had him replace the cable and do an adjustment as the drive was recently rebuilt. I picked up the boat and it shifts into forward nad reverse ok but will not throttle in reverse. He says its my control. I took the shift cable off the control and the control throttles in both directions. I now have a swilling itching brain and am asking the forum for insight. I dont think this is the guy to work on my boat so not looking to bring it to him. Maybe a refund if he messed up.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: No throttle in reverse PLEASE HELP

He could be right but he also could have connected the cble incorrectly. Ask him to show you specifically whats wrong. The control could very well be the original one.

birch

Recruit
Re: No throttle in reverse PLEASE HELP

Found the problem I checked the throw and it was a touch big so I used the hookup hole next to it that shortened the throw. However I paid him to install and adjust that cable and he failed and did not call me if he found anything else as discused when I left the boat and did no adjustments. I asked how he checked the rpm drop for shifting if he did not run water through it when I picked up the boat Then when we hooked up the hose I found the reverse isue and he said I need a new controler. I brought it to him as he said he was a qualified OMC mechanic and has adjusted many and I wanted it perfectly adjusted as I have a freshly rebuilt drive etc... now I need find a real OMC mechanic. I even left him my manual and copy of stuarts .