What kind of snake is this?

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
I walked down to the end of the dock where I keep my bass boat this morning and I found this friendly neighborhood creature taking a nap. Anyone know what kind of snake it is? I'm leaning towards a water moccasin since it seems to have a pattern circling it's body and the fact that it doesn't look anything like the rat snakes that I usually see.

Also, it is frikin huge.

The resolution is pretty good, so zoom in for a better look.

Texasvet

Snake_on_dock.jpg

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: What kind of snake is this?

Yikes, that looks A LOT like a Water Moccasin, also known as a 'Cottonmouth'. Very poisonous.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is not a rat snake, the body is way to heavy. The markings and body shape are consistent with water moccasin, too bad you didn't get a good picture of the head, that would seal it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Thats what we call a cottonmouth or water moccasin... you need to help him find a new home.

mphy98

Lieutenant

If that were near me it would be called a dead snake!

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That looks like a plain old brown water snake to me. They used to scare the heck out of me until a person who knows snakes corrected me. Below are two pics - the water brown water snake is on the right. However, still be cautious and stay clear or carry a long shovel!

Attachments

• Brown%20water%20snake%20R.jpg
    Brown%20water%20snake%20R.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Moccasin02.jpg
    Moccasin02.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

If that were near me it would be called a dead snake!

I had my pocket carry .380 with me and my first thought was "dang, I wish I had it loaded with rat shot." I figured that I could probably get away with firing a gun within the city limits if it was loaded with rat shot AND that I could probably hit it.

I did try to send it to Davy Jones locker though. I had a ten pound barbell weight in my storage cabinet on the dock. I tossed it at it's head from about 8 feet and I missed. What surprised me was that the snake only lifted it's head, looked around a little, and slowly slithered off the dock into the water. I guess when you grow to be that big and are poisonous, you have an attitude.

BTW, I put the snake at 3 1/2 to 4 feet in length.

texasvet

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

UPDATE!!!!

I sent the picture to the guy who runs the reptile exhibit at the Waco Zoo. He says it is a Diamond Backed Water Snake. I'm hoping he will give me a call to discuss it.

texasvet

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is a big problem here with names. There is a species of long, thin water snake commonly called a moccasin. It is harmless unless you treasure the little frogs, minnows and other very small wildlife in your pond.

Then there are the fat water snakes. The diamondback is also harmless, but looks a lot like the viper called cottonmouth (also often called water moccasin), which is not harmless and is about as aggressive as common snakes get. Cottonmouths are even fatter than the diamondback and should be treated with the utmost respect.

The key to IDing dangerous snakes is the triangular head. No harmless snakes have the triangular head and only the coral snake is a dangerous snake with a rounded head.

The snake in texasvet's pic looks to me like a cottonmouth. Compare it to the so called "moccasin" in Augoose's pics. It is fat and has a head that in that poor angle looks too big to be the diamondback.

DFW Miles

Seaman Apprentice

Its a water snake. They are all over the place here in Texas. I heard that they have a nasty bite because they have several rows of small teeth and not the big fangs of a water moccisan. I've never been bitten but I do try to catch them every now and then by hand. My two boys like looking at them up close.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

A big healthy Banded?, Watersnakes will scare the crap out of anyone, even reptile fans at first glance. The body shape of MATURE Moccosins and other native venomous snakes Is generally wider on the bottom like a pyramid in crossection, and nonvenomous more oval In the ones Ive seen or caught. Big ones look like they've been runover by a truck sometimes. I caught a Moc. w a forked stick when I was younger and dumber. The pupils of all native poisonous snakes are slit like a cats. Nonpoisonous are round, except for the Coral Snake that is easy to identify. But nobodys lookin at a snakes eyes when they're 5'+ long:eek:. not close enough to see them anyway:eek: Young snakes are harder to identify IMO, and Ive misidentified a few over the years that I was sure about:eek:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

If it was me walking up on that, it would be called a dead ugly snake! I hated my time in the service when I served in Central America! and I am sure there are many snakes still making plans for me when they are re-born!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Zooming in, I think I see the triangle shaped X section of the body I mentioned. I WOULD touch it w a 10' pole:D . If he coils up and shows you his open mouth I would back thetruck up!..........It is obviously still toooooo hot in Texas! You should get video if it comes back and put it on Youtube, titled "Snakes on a dock" :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

chriscraft254

Commander

You are definately looking at a poisinous snake, I saved the pic and blew it up larger. That snake definately has a diamond shaped head. Its also indented between the eyes, he is a monster. Cotton mouths are about as aggressive as you can get. They will chase you sometimes if threatened. I would be very careful around that area for a while.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Snakes are mans second best friend, do y'all realize how many rats and mice there would be if it wasn't for snakes?... I HATE rats and mice!!!

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Snakes are mans second best friend, do y'all realize how many rats and mice there would be if it wasn't for snakes?... I HATE rats and mice!!!

Ditto! The only things I hate as much as snakes

chriscraft254

Commander

IDK, my dog does a pretty good job rounding mice and rats up to. :p

chriscraft254

Commander

Ok, after investigating a little further, it seem that it is probably a diamondback water snake. They also have diamond shaped heads when there that big. Did you notice wether it swam away on top of the water or mostly submerged. Water snakes look like they are sinking while swimming in water, the cotton mouth/moccosin swims on top of the water, his whole body floats on top of the water.
images.jpg