79 evinrude 115 hp, no spark

cbaldoni

Cadet
to anyone that can help!

I noticed the timing base is stuck on my motor, it will not move when the throttle is increased or decreased, I attempted to move it and noticed that the whole base plastic ring and all rotate, I had spark previous to attempting to rotate the timing base, and now no spark at all,

If I replace the timing base is there any particular orientation for the plastic ring on the base?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Charlie

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 79 evinrude 115 hp, no spark

The timer base rides in on a circular ridge. Between the timer base and the ridge is usually a plastic shim called a retainer. Usually some white lithium grease is applied on both sides of the retainer. The grease on that retainer permits even, easy rotation of the timer base when the spark advance lever is moved. With age, this grease can dry out, causing the timer base to stick or move slowly. You may want to remove the assembly and clean/relube it. Once you get the flywheel off, you will see how it goes together, so reassembly should be no big deal.

cbaldoni

Cadet

Can a bad timing base cause a no spark condition?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Yes. You might want to check the timer base wiring to make sure it has not cracked with age-causing an "open."