1993 9.9 johnson outboard water pump replacement

bunky28

Cadet
how do you get at the shift rod to disconnect it so i can drop the lower unit to replace the water pump impeller?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1993 9.9 johnson outboard water pump replacement

Remove the 6 bolts holding the lower unit to the exhaust housing. The lower unit should pull down about a half inch. Peek inside and you'll see the shift rod connector with 2 screws in it. Remove the bottom screw and the unit will come out.

johnson1959

Recruit

I see the second bolt but hard to access it. Can I remove the top bolt as it is more accessible

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Put the shifter in reverse, that'll let you access the lower screw. If not, either screw would work. It's just a little easier to re-install it if you work with the lower screw.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i remove this upper bolt.
you shouldnt remove this bottom one.

johnson1959

Recruit

i remove this upper bolt.
you shouldnt remove this bottom one.
I already removed the bottom one so I sure hope it is easy to put back together. Now do I just remove the 4 bolts on the black housing to access the impeller? Does it just pull off? Should I replace anything else or just the impeller. On a side note I noticed the gear oil was milky. Are there seals to replace in this area or are they in the prop area and if so is it simple to replace those in the prop area?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Disconnecting the bottom bolt is fine.

Remove the impeller housing and you will see the impeller. DO not lose the key on the shaft. Hard to say what else needs to be replaced without visual inspection.

WHat caused you to change the impeller in the first place?

Re sealing the gearcase might be a good idea. You may want to invest in a manual, check ebay.

AlTn

Commander

100% agreement with manual purchase suggestion....you can google, Lerroy's Ramblings...go to his writings concerning 9.9 and 15 hp. maintenance and repair as it contains a wealth of info concerning these motors

johnson1959

Recruit

Thanks. The reason I replaced it was the motor did not circulate water when in gear at low idle speed. It shot out a good stream in neutral and at higher than idle speeds which I found strange but was told it likely was the impeller. Do you use a grease to reseal the gear case? Is it worth taking it back apart as I found it tricky to get that linkage connector and bolt back together. That seemed to be the only difficult part.

Disconnecting the bottom bolt is fine.

Remove the impeller housing and you will see the impeller. DO not lose the key on the shaft. Hard to say what else needs to be replaced without visual inspection.

WHat caused you to change the impeller in the first place?

Re sealing the gearcase might be a good idea. You may want to invest in a manual, check ebay.

johnson1959

Recruit

100% agreement with manual purchase suggestion....you can google, Lerroy's Ramblings...go to his writings concerning 9.9 and 15 hp. maintenance and repair as it contains a wealth of info concerning these motors

Thanks. Great Site!