What's the best way to identify leaks?

Swell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Hypalon inflatable boat from the 80?s, so it?s getting on a bit, but the Hypalon is generally in good shape. I?ve fixed a couple of obvious leaks but both tubes are still losing air, albeit very slowly. I?m struggling to identify where from though, and I suspect it might be seams.

What are the most likely areas for leaks?

Is there an easier way to identify leaks other than by listening for air escaping, which is what I?ve been able to do so far?

It?s a Metzeler Juca by the way.

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What's the best way to identify leaks?

Spray with soapy water and look for bubbles.

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spray with soapy water and look for bubbles.

+ 1. I've also found slow leaks from the valves and areas subject to micro punctures from small stones etc.

jameshunt

Seaman Apprentice

I am relatively new to inflatables. I have aleady had two instances of tiny leaks. First time in the bottom, 2nd time about 8 inches up from the bottom to tube seam (Chamber 3). The first probably occured dragging it across the patio, I think there may have been a very small screw or something that cut a 1/4 inch tear, barely noticeable until tested with soapy water. The second was harder to locate, but I saw what looked like a sandy crust. I think it was a wood splinter from the dock and trying to force air out after deflation by walking on it with my knees. It was only when I brushed away the "brown crust" I felt the air from a pin prick size hole. Patience is key, allow the thing to deflate on its own giving it ample time before rolling or folding up. Your "package" may seem too big at first, but you will be surprized that by the time you get home, most of the air will have some how found its way out. First thing on my shopping list will be a roll of pvc "Tear Aid" Type "B" I think. I only partially inflate the floor now since putting in a plywood deck.

Attachments

• new boat.JPG
    new boat.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 0

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Could be seams, could be valves, or it could be that the hypo is nearing the end of its life. I read somewhere about a guy with the same issue, and it turned out to be many small leaks. The boat was old and he had nothing to lose, so he coated the entire thing with spray adhesive. I don't know that I'd recommend that because it will look like **** and eventually wear off, but it might be worth a shot if all else fails. If the valves are original I think I'd start with those, then examine the seams. If it turns out to be a whole bunch of small leaks all over the place I think I'd consider that to be the excuse I needed to start looking for another boat. Good luck.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Sea Rider, does the inflatable sealant work on hypalon?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

A matter to ask West Marine, Defender boat department so as not to give a "who knows" answer...should work well on hypalon and pvc fabrics.

Happy Boating

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First thing on my shopping list will be a roll of pvc "Tear Aid" Type "B" I think. I only partially inflate the floor now since putting in a plywood deck.

The density of the material plays a key factor, as does technique. Putting pressure on thin mil. plastic on a varied substrates begs trouble. I often use a broom to clear away debris when I deflate, or turn the boat on it's side and slap it a few times to dislodge tiny bits of gravel, or debris. A garden hose, or air compressor doesn't hurt too. Of course, hypalon, or heavier tube materials makes punctures less likely. Best with your repairs.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

I have used the inflatable sealant in my Hypalon raft made in 1990. It works very well. All my slow leaks were stopped. It is still inflated and not leaking any air.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Good to know. Would one bottle be enough for a fourteen foot raft?

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

The instructions say 1 bottle for a 12' boat. You could divide it equally between all the chambers or use more or less in chambers you know have a leak. I used a straw with a small funnel to pour the sealant into my tubes. Wipe up any spills on the outside of your tubes right away as they will stain and it will not come off when dry. Good luck.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

BTW I used the latex sealant not the polyurethane. I used the Inland Marine Sealant but there is one called
Toobseal by Bixlers Marine also.