tach problem

trkr75

Seaman Apprentice
So here is what is going on. I boat my boat from a mechanic (mistake one) he said he just rebuilt the motor. After running it for awhile I have put a new carb, new distributor and sever other things on it. Not really concerned with the investment I got a screaming deal on it. before I replaced the distributor the tach quit working. I hooked everything back the way it came off but there is a yellow and red wire coming out of the harness by the tach. It has a ring terminal on the end I can't find where it belongs. Anyone know if it goes to the tach or where it might belong. oh yea, the boat is a 1985 four winns liberator 221

Thanks,
Ken

Bondo

Staff member
Re: tach problem

So here is what is going on. I boat my boat from a mechanic (mistake one) he said he just rebuilt the motor. After running it for awhile I have put a new carb, new distributor and sever other things on it. Not really concerned with the investment I got a screaming deal on it. before I replaced the distributor the tach quit working. I hooked everything back the way it came off but there is a yellow and red wire coming out of the harness by the tach. It has a ring terminal on the end I can't find where it belongs. Anyone know if it goes to the tach or where it might belong. oh yea, the boat is a 1985 four winns liberator 221

Thanks,
Ken

Ayuh,... But what motor,..?? What drive,..??

trkr75

Seaman Apprentice

sorry, looked again there are three wires coming out of this part of the harness, a grey, a purple and a yellow with green stripe. the yellow w/green is the one not hooked up. any idea what it goes to. I would think it goes to the distributor since it is with that cluster of wires and is the same length as the other two.
Thanks for the help,
Ken

cr2k

Captain

I believe the grey wire to be your tach. Purple is key switch power and the yellow should be the jumper/booster from the solenoid.