Orificel Plug Tool

Rmsari

Seaman
I'm going to put new rebuild kit in 6hp this weekend. IN reading service manual it references a special tool for removing orifice plug. Any ideas on where to get one or fab one up. thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Orificel Plug Tool

Your local dealer should be able to order one for you, if he will. Snap-on tools used to sell them. After breaking the tip off of a couple of the special tools, I ground down a screw driver and made my own.

kfa4303

Banned

HI Rmsari. What year/model is the motor? I know I use a screw to remove the welch plugs from the carbs on my old '60s era Johnsons. Get a self-tapping, sheet metal screw and give it a few twists in to the plug and pull. It should come right out. The new plugs can then tapped down into place with a 3/8" socket extender or a flathead screwdriver. I try not buy and special/one use tools (coils alignment ring, shift rod bushing remover, orifice plug remover, etc...) if I can help it. Good luck.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

After trying to make my own and having limited success I bought the orifice tool from the dealer. was $27 or so but works great.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Part number 317002, from any Evinrude dealer. It is a special tool because it is special. The sides are parallel, not a tapered blade like an ordinary screwdriver. The parallel sides won't expand the soft brass jet like a tapered balde. Once it is expanded, you will have trouble getting it out. The harder you try, the tighter it gets.

Rmsari

Seaman

Appreciate all the tips. In reading one post someone was recommending not even taking it. What do you think - necessary or overkill? If necessary looks like I will go route of fabing up from old screw driver. thanks for responding. I'm thnking I found me a new hobby.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you're handy with a bench grinder and have the right wheel on it you can make all the jet screw drivers you want providing you have the right size shank. I have one original and probably 3-4 more I made to get it tight spaces. First one I made was for a 1969 55 hp Evinrude lower carb high speed jet with the carb still on the mtr.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Here ya go.....

Attachments

• Fixed Jet Screwdriver2.jpg
    Fixed Jet Screwdriver2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 10