Engine won't Start - 3.7 170 HP Mercruiser (Ser # A592217)

CPO1HankRCN

Cadet
Hi there to all. I have used this forum a great deal since becoming the owner of this boat and have received some great information and advice which has been helping me to reassure myself that I did the right thing by buying this boat!

I had a starter problem, got a new starter, and finally got it put on (after much reading on this forum and asking questions). Now, I cannot get the engine to fire up. Engine cranks over beautifully, and is getting gas, ...... but will not start. It has not even kicked!

Let me remind you that I have never heard this engine running before as I bought the boat from the lad who assured me that he has had it running before and enjoyed it in the water. However after sitting for 3 years or so, after new plugs, wires, oil change, etc, the starter broke and he couldl not afford a new one. So, I bought it from him.

With that background, and it not starting, I checked the spark plugs for fire.... no fire! I then pulled the coil wire from the distributor and held it near a good ground to see it it was sparking..... no spark. I then pulled the distributor cap to check points, etc. It looks OK with no apparent problems. I've followed the checks as stated in the trouble shooting part of the manual for this, but nothing seems to work. I'm thinking that it might be the coil. Like I said, the boat/motor has been sitting for nearly 3 years and this is the first attempt to start it since. The previous owner (my next door neighbour) assured me that it only needed the starter and should 'flash up' right away. I haven't had a chance to talke to him as he's away on vacation, and I don't doubt his word. Could the problem be the coil...... or what else could it be?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to 'float' my way.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Engine won't Start - 3.7 170 HP Mercruiser (Ser # A592217)

Always assume the simplest explanation first. Points, not the coil are the most likely problem. You can check: Remove cap and put a insulator between the points so they do not make contact. Remove the center wire from the cap and place near block (1/4 inch or so). Turn on ignition. Use a short insulated wire to make and break contact across the points. You should get a spark every time you remove the wire. If you get a spark your coil is OK and you need to work on the points. Clean the points with a thin file, rather than sandpaper. Good luck.

CPO1HankRCN

Cadet

Thanks to both Don and Stony.

I have printed both Items 17 and 18 in the link you gave me Don.

I have also printed your reply Stony.

Now I'm off to the marina to pick up a few items and will be back at the boat this afternoon. Will keep you posted on the progress....... or lack of it!!!

Again, to you guys who take the time and effort to help us 'first time boat owners'..... a very big thank you.

CPO1HankRCN

Cadet

Once again, a very large thank you to both Stony and Don. Stony, I tried the procedure (and filed it away for future use also) that you gave me to test the coil. I did get a spark, which told me that the coil was good and I just wished that I had known how to do the check prior to buying a new coil ($45 + taxes Cdn). Now, because it is an electrical part, they won't take it back!! Having said that, anyone out there need a new coil???
I put the new points + the condenser in, set the gap (about the thickness of a dime), put it all back to gether, and thought I'd check the spark again at the plugs. So I took the first plug wire off at the front of the engine (it's the easiest to get at). I asked my buddy to crank the engine over and I would check for spark again....... well, I was shocked nearly to death when the engine started and ran quite rough with the one wire off, but ran very well on 3 cylinders. We shut it down immediately and put the other spark plug wire back on. (Keep in mind that this engine had not been running for about 3 years). We then decided that we'd take it out for a quick run in the lake as it is only 3 kms away. I filled the tank with new gas and went to the lake. We ran it very slow and steady for the first 15 minutes or so and then gradually opened it up a bit more each minute or so. I had it at nearly WOT (but never got it there that day) and it worked like a charm...... she pushes the 18 foot fiberglass SportCraft at about 55 MPH..... and not at WOT. I've had it out a couple of times since then and it works like a charm.
Now I figure the boat is worth a few bucks to fix it up a bit cosmetically. I am , at this point, quite proud of the $300.00 boat!!! Having said that, I have now got $832.43 tied up in the boat (new starter, new plugs, new points, coil and battery).
So sad that it is nearly time to winterize it and put it away until next spring..........I'm hooked on boating!!!

Thanks again guys for all the help and encouragement! My hat is off to you both.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Great! Welcome to the 470 club;). You should pick up a dwell meter/tachometer to set the points and check the boat tach. This is the one I have http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7605-Tachometer-Voltmeter-Analyzer/dp/B00062YUUS . Here is a link to the manual for your engine: http://www.4shared.com/document/zTbCbkDD/Service_Manual_08.html . Get yourself an inexpensive antifreeze tester and check the antifreeze to make sure it is about 50/50, then all you have to do is pull the aft plug on the heat exchanger and check that the power steering cooler drains and you are freeze protected for the winter. Have fun.

Having a spare coil and points on board the boat is not necessarily a bad thing. (I keep just about all the tune up parts onboard as spares in a tool box kit).

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Problem resolved in less than a page. Great job fellas!
I agree on the spare parts.