Bias and Radials.....

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
...long story short:
Labor Day Saturday morning, two trailer flats within 12 miles !!! Both single nail-type punctures between the treads, center of each rear tire on the trailer.
Thank goodness a Goodyear dealer was open at 7:30 that Saturday morning. I asked for two ST205-75D14's to match the remaining tires.
Well, near to two weeks later and a couple of fishing trips (avg. 110 miles round trip) later as I was washing/servicing the boat/trailer, I noticed that the two new tires were actually ST20575R14's !!!
Both radials are mounted on the front axle (braking axle) and the bias are on the rear. I have noticed that the trailer seems to pull easier as my cruising speed seems to creep up if I'm not paying real close attention.
I advised the XO that if I was not imagining the easier towing, I might just spring for two more radials.
The existing bias are in excellent health with no checking, tread wear or abnormalities.
Any comments on the mixed tire construction is most welcome.
Just remember, the radials are on one axles and the bias are on the other!!

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bias and Radials.....

Radials and bias tires react differently to different loads. With a mix you will have less consistent handling in the trailer and it is likely that one of the sets will wear faster than the other as a result of this. On a car it would be dangerous as the front and back would perform dramatically differently. On a trailer - not so much.
Generally a radial tire is more efficient and will tow better. I'd change the others to radials and sell the used bies plies.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Since the tires match on each axle it should be fine. When I got new tires for my trailer I switched to radials since that's what they had in stock and I can't say that it tows any differently.

Volphin

Lieutenant

When I replaced my trailer tires I went with high load rated radials. I liked the softer ride and it seemed to help with towing at highway speeds.

V

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

How old are the bias ply tires? If they are 5 years or older you should replace them anyway.