batteries overcharging/225 evinrude

BOATINGmatt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
my batteries were cahrging at almost 17 volts on my 1986 225 evinrude.we replaced the rectifier,stator, and flywheel (knocked off magnets while removing)...now im still charging at 16 volts altho it takes a while to get there....and not my temp gauges are showing hot....the boat is not completlry overheating, no alarm sounding but there running alot hotter than usual...any idea what happened here or whats goin on...thanks

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: batteries overcharging/225 evinrude

Just a little food for thought. I was talking to a marine mechaninc the other day about why the wax/glue on my stator is melted and he advised me that when these motors run they create more voltage then the rectifier can handle once the batteries are full thus creating all this extra voltage and no where for it to go. He stated the best thing to do when running these motors is to have as many things on as you possibly can giving the voltage somewhere to go such as radios, live well pumps, bilge's ect ect. Just throwing my 2 cents out there.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What are you checking your voltage with and Where are you checking it at ??

Rdepaoli1

Cadet

I think that engine has a seperate regulator & rectifier, the regulator will be the grey boy on the top right of the engine, I had the same issue with my 83 200, I learned that they both go togther. lol. Good luck.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The regulator/rectifier are all one unit.