johnson 75 linkage problem need help

DWP

Seaman Apprentice
I just had to replace the foot on my motor and now it will not shift in reverse I've adjusted the shift linkage on the side of the motor as far as it will go and it is still not enough to get this foot in reverse. I can get it into reverse by hand pulling it back and I'm seriously 2 inches away from shift at my max extension on my shift linkage. The boot installed without a problem and everything lined up perfect, including the shifter rod. Is there another adjustment somewhere? Or am I going to have to get another foot? Or get a new cable? Any help would be great as I'm pretty annoyed at the situation. I just need some direction.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 75 linkage problem need help

Model number? Exact year?

DWP

Seaman Apprentice

The model number is j75tlcte I believe that makes it an 83. It's a seahorse

DWP

Seaman Apprentice

I'm leaning toward the wrong foot ATM, but only because the water pump impeller key was a different design than on the bad foot. Besides that everything fit perfectly. I have been known to overreact when faced with a problem, so I'm hoping someone can chime in with some straight answers.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Possibly you turned the shift rod out of adjustment. The measurement is critical and is to be measured from the top surface of the lower unit to the center of the shift rod hole. Be sure to have the lower unit in neutral when measuring.

1983 - 70, 75hp = (S) 16-13/32" - - (L) 21-23/32" plus/minus 1/32" Have the shift rod in neutral

DWP

Seaman Apprentice

So to adjust it I drop the foot again make sure the foot is in neutral and spin it either clockwise or counter clock wise to adjust the shift rod. Just to be totally clear this measurement is from the center of the eye hole at the top to the top of the rubber boot at the bottom or all the way to the foot assembly? Thank you so much for the insight. I will also do some Google foot work to maybe find a tutorial mostly for the correct measurement point at the foot.

DWP

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so I have the new foot off. It is in fact the long shaft. But when I adjust the shift rod out to the specifications you've given me it feels awful loose like left right front back. Is this normal? I just want to check before I put it back together.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The measurement is critical and is to be measured from the top surface of the lower unit to the center of the shift rod hole.

I said nothing about measuring from a rubber boot. The top surface of the lower unit is the metal top portion of the gearcase housing..... the part that matches up against the long exhaust housing, the portion that would still exist if you removed everything else, the part that the retaining bolts go thru.

You do have that unit in neutral I assume?

DWP

Seaman Apprentice

Yes the unit was in neutral, I gathered where to measure from after I re-read your post, The problem still exist, but I also think you were correct. After making the proper adjustment to height of the shift rod I noticed something weird and started taking measurements, the drive shaft of the new foot is about or just over an inch shorter, also the shift rod in my boot is much much longer than the shift rod in the new foot, I want to believe that this foot is for a Short, and mine is a Long, but if that were the case I was unable to adjust the shift rod of the new foot down to the 16-13/32" before the threads bottomed out. So I'm thinking its just a year model mismatch. I'm taking both the feet to the shop tomorrow. I couldn't find any numbers on anything on the new foot to help me find out exactly what it is. Another day, another pound of grease under my nails.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The measurement difference between a short and long shaft is exactly five (5) inches. The replacement unit you have is for something other than your engine. I'd suggest you don't mess with it and move on to find the right unit.