Having trouble installing gearcase.

jetterbug

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1985 Johnson 90 ..I replaced the water pump and now having problems getting seated properly/without force. Do you fellas always get this on the first shot? Ive givin this 3 attempts, thinking something isn't lining up right or lubed or?..?? Have any of you had to give it another shot or am I just doing something wrong? The driveshaft seems to mesh up but I just cant get the last 1/2" . What gives? :mad:

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Having trouble installing gearcase.

The shift rod may be hanging up going through the grommet in the lower pan.

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always have a small gap when putting the lower unit back on. As long as the shift rod is not hung up, or the exhaust housing and the water pickup tube is going into the water pump. Turn or wiggle back and forth the flywheel while pushing the gear case up and you should feel the driveshaft mesh with the crank, then start a few bolts and tighten them up if you feel they are getting tight and not pulling the gearcase up then something is stopping it. But the bolts should help seat the water pick up tube into the water pump and seal the gear gase to the midsection.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

As mentioned, the water pump tube may not be going into it's grommet properly. There's not much else that would prevent to lower unit from going all the way up. You need to guide the tube into the pump outlet with your fingers until the name more finger room.

jetterbug

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always have a small gap when putting the lower unit back on. As long as the shift rod is not hung up, or the exhaust housing and the water pickup tube is going into the water pump. Turn or wiggle back and forth the flywheel while pushing the gear case up and you should feel the driveshaft mesh with the crank, then start a few bolts and tighten them up if you feel they are getting tight and not pulling the gearcase up then something is stopping it. But the bolts should help seat the water pick up tube into the water pump and seal the gear gase to the midsection.

I got the bolts started but something is holding it from the last half inch. It feels like it may be the o-ring on the ds. I'll try again.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

don't use bolts to draw it up.something is not in place.trust i spent the whole summer with my lower unit. had it out a dozen times wrong used parts.ther vare 4 things that can cause this, drive shaft,shift shaft exhaust housing and water pump tube. so you can rule out drive shaft unless you put to much lube on top of shaft and grease is in the way. i use a pair of long needle nose pliers to move shift rod. ther is a spot just under grommet that does through case were you can see and move shift rod. also make sure gear shift is in full forward.did you put top hat seal in water pump correctly,one i got used was installed upside down,folded over the seal an it ran hot until i figured out what happened. seat exhaust housing in middle section and use alittle on rubber seal were it seats in lower unit. you can use bolts to hold in place but i can seat my 150 by hand, a little wiggle anf jiggle that last 1/2' or so then snug up one of the bolts. first took me 6 trys,know i'm an old pro haha

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put grease on the water tube and the grommet. If that is where it's binding, that'll take care of it.

jetterbug

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well , I figured out what was hanging me up.. The 0-ring was a tad too large on the driveshaft. I take it off and slips right in... I purchased the Mallory water pump kit: It would not go in with this 0-ring on... Anyone experience this before?
Manual says to "Apply Adhesive to gearcase and exhaust housing mating surfaces". This didnt have any adh/sealer on when I separated them. ? Do you men apply any adhesive or sil to mating surfaces? Thanks

Haffiman

Commander

There are some different versions of pump and impeller kits, but in none I've seen the driveshaft o-ring supplied, but things may have changed. However some of the kits supply an o-ring that should be put between impeller and impeller plate. double check the installation instructions.
Use BRP sealing compound or LocTite Aviation on all screws, exhaust rubber seal/gasket and if you feel like on the mating surface, but the latter not needed.

jetterbug

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Haffiman. Well If this kit didnt come with a d.s. 0-ring then Im short one elsewhere! My manual is vague on waterpump internals, and kit came with NO instructions!