Recommended procedures for first test drive - OMC 3.8L

Big_Eddy

Cadet
I have a new to me 1984 OMC 3.8l that I have been working on over the summer. I now have the engine starting and running smooth, the outdrive shifts in and out of gear properly, I'm not overheating on the muffs, the tilt and trim both work (most of the time), the alternator is charging the battery and I have confirmed that the bilge pump and blower are working. All fluids are clean and levels have been checked. Battery is fully charged and all safety gear is on board.

I think I'm ready to take her to the launch for a first test run. (With a boater friend on standby with his boat if needed)

Anyone have a recommended test run procedure to follow? I did a search but was not able to find anything specific to a first launch.

Obviously (after confirming the plug is in) the first thing to do before even floating it off the trailer is to look for any incoming water from a hidden problem with the bellows or elsewhere, but assuming it doesn't sink immediately, it would be good to have a checklist of things to watch and things to test to ensure everything is operating correctly.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Big_Eddy

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Recommended procedures for first test drive - OMC 3.8L

Theres no real check list. If it floats off the trailer without showing signs of incoming water, take it out and have fun. Listen for any strange noises and if none let er rip.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bring a buddy in the boat with you to help keep an eye on the gauges, I idled around for a little while watching temp and oil pressure. I was a little scared because of the unknown. but after 20 minutes of idling I decided it was now or never. I have had a ball ever since. So, good luck with your boat. Hopefully everything will go good. But dont forget the tools.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

only thing I'd add is let it idle at the dock until the thermostat opens and you see the temp hold steady. feeling risers and hoses with your hand a good way to verify good water flow. good luck

ljsweeney

Seaman

I'm with Howard.

You can run very cool on muffs and still have an overheat issue (been there).

Good luck.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

After I removed all the OMC "stuff" from my 87 Liberator, and installed the 454/Bravo, I temporarily left the engine cover off.

I launched the boat and closely monitored the engine visually while a helper drove the boat around and low speed and monitored gages.

After I was satisfied that everything in the engine compartment was functioning ok, I took control and did higher speed and WOT operation.

You're looking for water, oil, exhaust leaks and other problems while you run the engine.

Good luck,

Rick

Big_Eddy

Cadet

Well - the test drive went well. I had a minor issue starting it up - the choke failed to return to normal and it was coughing and spluttering for a while, but settled in nicely once I figured out why. I let it idle at the dock with the compartment open, checking things closely and watching the temperature gauge which climbed slowly to 165 then sat there without moving. After 5 minutes at 165, I popped it into reverse and backed away from the dock without issue. I spent 15 minutes puttering around to the upwind side of the launch at no more than 1500rpm, then shut things down and took a look in the engine compartment again without seeing any indication of problems. So I took it out a bit further and gave her some gas. Initially there was 1 backfire, then it settled in and off we went. Boat came up onto plane nicely and I was able to run it up and down from about 2200 to 3500 rpm without issue. Ran it WOT for a couple of mins, but it was pretty choppy out, so was not able to really give it a good run. Seems like the top RPMs may be a bit low, but I'll need to wait for another day to see for sure.

Gauges stayed where they belonged - battery at 14.5volts, Oil at 40 psi, temperature steady between 170 and 180. Went up and down off plane a few times and played with the trim and steering to make sure everything was operating correctly.

After 15 mins I headed back in to take her back home for a once over. No issues docking, idling or popping in and out of forward and reverse during the docking procedures.

Only issue found in the post test drive check is that I again have water in the oil in the upper unit. I'll start a new thread on that.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Big_Eddy