1994 22' crownline.... any good?.... what's it worth?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
So I'm considering a trade with my monte carlo... may be looking at it sunday.... my memory is TERRIBLE but IIRC he said it has a (edit) 548 CID engine with a $10k outdrive of some sort..... mebbe imco? damn A.D.D. UGH
so anyhow seems like a heck of a boat.... I'm thinkin 70mph plus??? he didn't tell me what the model was but said it was a 1994 22' cuddy
jjj 342.jpgjjj 343.jpgjjj 344.jpg

looks like I can get some boot money but don't know how much yet

opinions?

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 1994 22' crownline.... any good?.... what's it worth?

It looks like it has had alot of Motor work done. Super nice Manifolds. Make sure you take it out of the lake, and check for rot. Don't do what I did.

haulnazz15

Captain

It sounds like he has a 454 bored .030 over, so no big deal there. It looks like he has an aluminum or SS dry stack exhaust on it which is worth a few ponies, and it also looks to have an air-gap intake on the engine too. Interior looked pretty clean even through the poor picture quality. I don't know what outdrive he is talking about, but I would assume it's a Bravo I or Bravo III unless he decided to drop major dollars on an unnecessary racing drive. It might be putting out around 375HP or so I'd imagine. I don't know what you'd get out of it speed-wise, but certainly into the 60's. Assuming there's no floor/transom rot there, it's probably worth retail. I didn't see anything as far as "major engine work", but a reman'd 454 with performance exhuast is more than enough for a 22' boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I just got off the phone with him.... he said the engine did start as a 454 and that it was now worked to a 548..... He said the drive was indeed an IMCO racing drive with external hydraulic steering.... The engine was just rebuilt last week and the boat has not even been off of the trailer since but is back in the shop now for a (he thinks) valve train problem of some sort... I told him to ask the shop if the would provide a written warranty that is transferable to a new owner... He said he'd check on it.... he also said that the only way he'd trade is even.... no boot money..... eh we'll see

JTGP2011

Cadet

What does the Monte Carlo look like?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The engine was just rebuilt last week and the boat has not even been off of the trailer since but is back in the shop now for a (he thinks) valve train problem of some sort... I told him to ask the shop if the would provide a written warranty that is transferable to a new owner... He said he'd check on it.... he also said that the only way he'd trade is even.... no boot money..... eh we'll see

That part worries me... When someone sinks money into a new engine, they are either going to keep it a good long time to enjoy it, or unload it ASAP knowing it is a bottomless pit. Even worse, he doesn't know why it was rebuilt?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

it concerns me too..... He knows why it was rebuilt and he told me but that damn A.D.D. thing... Other than he said he had to buy a head and that it was a full rebuild, I can't remember.... He doesn't know yet what is wrong with it now... He said a rocker came loose and that it is making noise now......

Honestly I'm presently leaning toward passing on it.... originally (and I told him this from the start) my only reason to consider getting rid of the monte carlo was to raise a bit of cash

haulnazz15

Captain

Well a stroked 454 is a bit of a different animal. I can see why he might want something more than a Bravo I now, but it's interesting that he would have sunk so much money into a drivetain and stroked 454 on a Crownline. Not that they aren't nice boats, but it's not typically the type of hull that you'd choose for 70+mph speeds, imo. On the bright side, I think most of those IMCO drives cost close to $10K new, so you might be able to make some bank off of that.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yeah I have no interest in running blinding speed in a little boat like that on the river here and finding a monster wave to send me into orbit....We have no shortage of 60'ers running around here.... plus all the dang logs in the water... ugh.... I had considered offering the engine and drive to someone for their stock 330/bravo and $$$ but I'm now sure I'll make enough to justify trading my boat even for it.....

The other thing that worries me is ME.... I really like to go FAST and I'm sure I'd have to try it a time or 10...... I'd hate to get hooked on the gofast scene..... damn expensive LOL

Maclin

Admiral

Smoke, does your boat run? Or are you guys just trading projects? It just sounds like his is a pile of parts that never got dialed in, or maybe not even hooked up and run together yet.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yeah mine is GTG.... his WAS when he got it but he had engine probs after only a few outings.... he's getting the engine repaired but has decided that he's afraid of it and he wants a cruiser...... says he wants to leave it at a dock instead of trailering and use it for a party shack..... If I get this thing it will be with the intention of selling the high zoot drivetrain and swapping in something more tame or selling the whole rig if it's worth more $$$ than mine...... I need to find out what the market is for this stuff...... My gut feeling is that I'd just be better off to sell mine and look for a smokin deal on another boat

Friscoboater

Captain

I am thinking the same thing. Sounds like he is having some real problems.

daveO72

Recruit

Just wondering how this worked out for you. Any other pictures? would really like to see the *** end and know how it runs for you. Ok Thanks

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard Dave:

Start a new thread buddy (it's against the rules to open old ones). You'll get more replies posting in the Crownline dedicated section. I'm not sure where Smoke is. I haven't seen in online in a bit and know he was really busy a while ago. I don't think he ever got this boat though ... He found a free one!