swim platform 1990 prestancia

Status
Not open for further replies.

goose25

Seaman Apprentice
does anyone have any experience removing the swimplatform from a 1990 prestancia? it looks straight forward except for the two feet that goes along the side of the hull towards the bow ? iam looking to do a repair or replacement with a new one :)

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: swim platform 1990 prestancia

I have never taken mine off, but I took all the screws out of the rub rail on the platform. Along the sides it is just screws that hold it in. Provide some feedback if you get a new one, I tried to repair mine but it didn't come out super great, so I just painted it with non-skid. I was looking at the extended platforms but they are about 2K for the 1990 Prestancia.

goose25

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks iam going to try and remove it this October and repair from underneath unless it's in real bad shape. I got a quote for a new one from swim platforms com for 2000 + shipping let you know how it goes

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, they are the ones that gave me my quote as well. I need new canvas before I buy the extended platform.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

G'Day goose25,

If you can get the supplier of the new platform to send you a photo of the replacement platform you will see where all the through bolts are, the rest will be glued and or siliconed in place.
Mine has been worked on a couple of times for the fittment of stern rails and tender mountings as well as a major crack from a minor impact that just happen to be over an air bubble in the fibreglass but always while attached to the vessel.

goose25

Seaman Apprentice

hi,

mine has several screws under the platform through a lip on the platform into the transom, the part that extends up the sides appears glued and caulked, also i cant find any through bolts but ill look more close on the weekend. the supplier has never made one for this model and mine would be the first if i send them a template.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you emailed Doral?
I have requested parts a few times and have had Doral send drawings to confirm my descriptions.

goose25

Seaman Apprentice

i havent tried doral. i will email them with the question and see what they think,it cant hurt to try thanks and ill keep updating

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi,

mine has several screws under the platform through a lip on the platform into the transom, the part that extends up the sides appears glued and caulked, also i cant find any through bolts but ill look more close on the weekend. the supplier has never made one for this model and mine would be the first if i send them a template.

The screws in the side are the ones for the stainless rub rail that goes around the platform. It surprised me when I took them out as to how long they were. Keep posting and add pictures if you get the platform, I may follow behind you once they have your template.

goose25

Seaman Apprentice

i emailed doral and this was there email response

You can remove the swim platform, by unscrewing the brace, all screws at the
transom and by removing the moulding of the wings and unscrewing the screws.
The swim platform might be glue, to remove that glue you may need a warm
wire. This will damage the gel coat.

Depending on the repair, it may be repair in place. Try with a fibreglass
repair shop.

We do not make these anymore, and we don't know anything about an after
market.

so i think iam going to remove it this winter and look at repairing it from the bottom. if the damage is greater than i think then the template and new will be the way to go. the boss thinks we need a new one and i should skip right to that step. i will keep updating this fall

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

G'Day goose25,

What exactly is wrong with the existing platform? Can you post some photos?

Mine had a large air blister under the gelcoat, it was repaired in situ'
Unless the damage is around the joint along the transom I can't see why you would bother removing it.

goose25

Seaman Apprentice

boat is coming out in about three weeks so i take some pics and post. do you know if the platform is wood core ? yes the damage is at the edge not near the transom, the top isnt damaged and repairing from under is easier so i dont have to redo the top anti slip surface. doing fiberglass repairs from the underside without removing is difficult and very messy.

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I drilled for my 3 step ladder I remember it did have some wood inside.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

boat is coming out in about three weeks so i take some pics and post. do you know if the platform is wood core ? yes the damage is at the edge not near the transom, the top isnt damaged and repairing from under is easier so i dont have to redo the top anti slip surface. doing fiberglass repairs from the underside without removing is difficult and very messy.

Not as difficult and messy as removing the platform by the sound of it!:facepalm:
I imagine the platform has a timber frame and stringers running through it, they are way too large to support themselves.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Just curious what progress you have made with the swim platform.

goose25

Seaman Apprentice

none yet going to repair it in place this spring before we launch. the core is wood and has delaminated from the top fiberglass along the edges. ill do some thinking on the best way to repair it and post this spring. if anyone has some thoughts please do. i would love to extend it but thats alot more work. there appears to be no rot that i could find, i drilled several test holes to check. the plattform is not part of the hull but screwed and glued to transom.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like water ingress, possibly from poor repairs.
I would grind a small area and see what I found before embarking on a major grinding mission!
Is it possible the areas are actually old repairs lifting?

goose25

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure there is a small impact crack at the back corner. So I think water has worked in and then froze one winter and caused the damage. I'm leaving it until spring. Winter is here now and I don't have anywhere indoors to work on something this size . Thank for the thoughts and I'll start looking at her in late march.

twobits

Seaman Apprentice

Goose25 how did you make out with your swimplatform? We have a crack in ours too....going to try to repair it first. Not sure if the platform can be easily removed or not.

goose25

Seaman Apprentice

i did a cosmetic repair to the cracked area with epoxy. looks ok but i would still like to replace it with one from swimplatforms in arizona. They now have the template. I was told some other prestancia owner order one last year. They want 1900 plus shipping and a crate to ship in. About another 450. Not sure what to do yet a bigger platform would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.