can 'I' fix this prop?

s2gots

Petty Officer 2nd Class
dug into some sand and rocks while the boat was beached...Can I take a file and smooth out the edges, and still use it as the main prop? I know its not worth trying to fix at a shop, might as well just buy a new one at that point, but if I can salvage this one that would be great!
TIAprop1.jpgprop2.jpg

NHGuy

Captain
Re: can 'I' fix this prop?

You can't do it like a prop shop, but you can do a half ast job and make it a backup. Why not just send it out to have it reconditioned. It's cheaper than new. But if you shop real hard you can get a new one for around $100, at least that's what I found this spring for a Michigan Wheel aluminum.

s2gots

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took it to a local shop and they wanted around $160.00 to repair. A new one is $100 on this site... WHere can I send it out to repair that will cost less than $100 to fix? Any recomondations?

propmann

Cadet

There out of their mind to be able to charge that kind of money to fix a aluminum prop. We charge around $75 for that repair.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've filed props that looked worse than that back into shape. Same WOT RPM and top speed as before, and no noticeable vibrations. The important parameters are the leading edge profile (should be like an airplane wing) and balance. Find any undamaged sections of the leading edges and try to replicate the profile when you file the dings out. Small, slightly bent areas can be dealt with using a hammer and block of wood. Try your best to make each blade the same size and shape, even if it means removing more material than necessary from less damaged blades. When you test it, watch carefully for increased vibration and check WOT RPM and top speed. Any vibration or significantly increased slip would suggest relegating this prop to a spare and buying a new one.

A prop shop can make it like new, but it's not worth it if it's going to cost the same or more than new.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

DSC_0004a.jpg

This one is a little more difficult

fishrdan

Admiral

$160 for repair :eek: A new prop from a retail shop that would be reasonable, but for repairing the damage :confused:

I'd buy a replacement from Iboats and file the old one into "good enough" condition for a back up prop.

s2gots

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The cheapest Place I found to send out the prop for repair was $55.00 includes shipping., that's not bad. I'm prob going to go that route and save myself $50!!

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cheapest doesn't necessarily mean good. I'd be a bit suspicious of a shop charging that little including shipping. You may not be getting it back. Get yourself a new prop, clean up the old one and keep it as a spare.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You can usually fix those up on your work bench without too much problem. I've cleaned the paint off them and smoothed them out with auto body repair tools. I've even used JB weld to build them back up and had it hold up. I would rather TIG weld a bead on them now that I have a TIG welder in the shop. They are cast Aluminum so you need to heat them up a little to burn off any oils and dirt they may be in the pores. 500 degrees is about as high as I would go. But to answer your question, yeah, you can fix that up and put it back into service provided it's not too far out of balance when you get done. I'm not saying it will be like new but if you take your time and don't beat it to death you can make it run decent again.

jkust

Rear Admiral

My Turning Point Hustler was 100$ from Iboats roughly the same a rebuild here. Also I've never touched my boat to the sand ever. I moore it out a few feet and anchor it. I can't quite tell what boat you have but it doesn't look like one I'd ever beach.

s2gots

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I can be the guinea pig here and try this place out! I'll post back once I get the prop back and let you know how it went. The place is called propmd. Thanks fir the input!!

Brewman61

Ensign

You won't be a guinnea pig. That is who rebuilds my props. I am within 10 miles of their shop, and I've been there.
They have a very large list of clents- and get work from all over the US and beyond. Their rep. is that good.
They are legitimate, and very competent, as well as extremely competitive pricewise. I don't pay shipping since I'm close enough to drop off and pickup. They were very helpful is steering me to a really great SS prop, so now my AL prop is just a spare.

s2gots

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's awesome, just what I needed to hear brewman!! Sounds like IT IS possible to still find quality work for a good price!! Thanks again!!

orsoweld

Recruit

that looks minor to me,my local prop shop is usually $50-55 on damage worse than that!!!!!!!!