Fishing Cape Ann

Fly Rod

Commander
A few friends of mine had a grat catch of tuna over a three day fishing trip with most boats landing three fish per boat. All toll fourteen fish were landed with twelve of the fish weighing between 525- 597 lbs., two under 300 lbs..

Attachments

• TUNA 001.jpg
    TUNA 001.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
  • TUNA 002.jpg
    TUNA 002.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
  • TUNA 003.jpg
    TUNA 003.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
  • TUNA 004.jpg
    TUNA 004.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Fishing Cape Ann

Say Richard,did you ever try to get one of those on a fly??

Fly Rod

Commander

Hello rolmops, how have you been? doing any fishing? Sold all my guns, no more hunting and giving up my charters and boat is up for sale.

Never had one on a fly rod, have had them on 30 lb. and 40 lb. test line with spinning reel only to break off. Every time I take my tuna rods they do everything but jump in the boat. As you can see some of my friends have done well going to Georges Bank about 160 miles off shore in them 36-40 foot lobster boats. They started two years ago to go to Georges and very lucky that we have not lost any one to the depths of the sea. You have fished around here so you know the types of boats I'm talking about. They can make 15,000 - 30,000 for three days of fishing, but it takes 15 - 18 hours to get there and the same to get back so there is actually 5 days.

Take care rolmops, always nice chatting with you.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Fly Rod.
I hope this finds you healthy. Giving up hunting and charter fishing must be a difficult choice to make.If ever you make it up to Rochester you are more than welcome on my boat,no matter what color boots you wear.
I too sold a boat, my old lobster boat the "lobster pot",aka the '"rust pot". She will be scrapped and recycled.
I do fish a heck of a lot on Lake Ontario. For Chinook and Coho Salmon,brown trout (the 10 pound plus version,not the MA stocked minnows) and steelhead also known as rainbows on steroids.
The 800 mile trips to Gloucester just take too much time and gas,while Lake Ontario is only 14 miles away.
My next big fishing trip will be for Halibut out of Seattle. My daughter moved to Palo Alto so that gives me a great excuse to travel that way.
Hope to hear from you soon.